1955 Soft top repair & restoration

Gforni

Gforni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We have a '55 and the soft top has some holes/small rips in it. Still works (although sits a little wonky on the left side), and stows behind the seat easily, but if I want to get it re-covered, can we take it to an upholstery shop (locally) that can do soft tops, or is this a situation where it has to be removed and sent to (I think) the shop in WI to have it done properly? I think I read that these are generally done on the car so that they are set properly. Any advice, names of good shops appreciated. We are in South Carolina. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi,
A reputable convertible top shop should have no trouble supplying and installing a new top. Yes, they will do it with the top on the car so that it fits correctly. The shop in the mid-west will do a concourse restoration (top and metal framework), but it is not cheap. If you just need a new top, you should be able to find a local guy to do it. the local shop will most likely want to supply the top material - they are kits available.

If I remember correctly the rear seal bow beneath the rear window was 2 piece and tended to flex a little. when bare check all the bows and hinges and lube with a non staining grease such as white lithium. I'm sure there will be many here will chime in.

Hi
Actually the rear metal frame that holds the seal will flex in two places and will actually lift the seal up from the body due to tension from the top. A modification that many have made is to fit the bottom "rail" and it's seal to the body and then weld the joint so that it is no longer flexible and so it always fits perfectly to the rear deck.

The above suggestion to lubricate all of the pin connections (the top and the swing arm) when the covering is off is a good one.

Back