1955 Signal Light Switch not working

Tater Salad

Tater Salad

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have all lights working except the right brake light. I know the right brake light works from the same filament as the signal light. The signal light works fine. (The flasher takes over when both are on) I have had the signal light switch out and everything seems fine. (No corrosion) I haven't checked continuity, as I write this, I see where the problem may be. But I'll continue. Any thoughts on why the light wouldn't work? I see Hills offers a newer switch. Does anyone have any experience with the differences of the new signal light switch?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Biddle, you muddled that too. The signal lights work fine. The right brake light is the issue

Done my darnedest to meet your criteria, still you think you're smarter

I'd look at The junction where the break light and the wire from the turn signal wire merge. The wire from the brake light switch may be broken. The original insulation on these cars are getting very brittle and connector corrosion is not uncommon.

Thanks ward. That's a very valid point. Are you speaking of the junction blocks on the fenders or under the dash? Under the dash reads continuity

Hmm, That wiring diagram doesn't show the connection at the turn signal and brake light switch. It's under the dash, I'd trace the wire from the brake switch to where the turn signal wires branch from left to right. There has to be a point where the brake light wire activates both but the turn signal only activates one side at a time.

Last edited:
It's in the turn signal switch, center of diagram circles and triangles is the switch. And I wouldn't advise anyone to take theirs apart, small springs and tiny peices go flying. 20210410_115358.jpg

All good there. Thanks ward. Switch wasn't allowing current to flow from green wire to orange and blue wire. Corroded and some arcing had pitted contacts.

Back