1955- Should I keep the original block?

Critterpainer

Critterpainer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When I bought my 55 it came with spare parts including the original engine block. Its just the block and main caps, no rotating parts. Is there any way to tell if it is indeed the original block? I am thinking of parting with it as I don't anticipate needing it and I don't have unlimited space. Does a 292 block have value?

When I bought my 55 it came with spare parts including the original engine block. Its just the block and main caps, no rotating parts. Is there any way to tell if it is indeed the original block? I am thinking of parting with it as I don't anticipate needing it and I don't have unlimited space. Does a 292 block have value?
Unlike General Motors, Fords are not numbers matching engine block to chassis. The closest approximation for determining originality of the block is that the date code on the block should precede the build date of the car by a relatively short time perhaps within a month or so is quite normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please include a model year on future posts in your subject. Adding for you now.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Unlike General Motors, Fords are not numbers matching engine block to chassis. The closest approximation for determining originality of the block is that the date code on the block should precede the build date of the car by a relatively short time perhaps within a month or so is quite normal.
I have never heard of a date code listed on an 55 - 57 Thunderbird engine block. I looked on my 292 engine when it was removed from my 1955 Thunderbird and on the 292 engine that I rebuilt last year and I cannot find any date code. I checked the 1955 Product Service Letters and no date code is mentioned. The only engine identification mentioned in the Service Letters is Service Letter 973, which gives you cylinder head identification information. I also read through the engine identification section, on pages 26 – 31, of the Thunderbird Restoration Details and Specification Manual and nothing is mentioned of a date code. Can you give me the location of where the date code is located on the engine block?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

These Yblocks are becoming hard to find. I would not scrap it but sell or donate it to some one that is in need of a 292. These are very good engines.

Thanks guys, I guess its time to find it a new home!

Back