1955 Shay gas tanks

wm29577
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The Shay t-bird I purchased, looks like it had sat up for quite some time and the fuel has turned to varnish! Does anyone know what fuel tanks were put in them? It might be better to replace then to try and clean it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The Shay t-bird I purchased, looks like it had sat up for quite some time and the fuel has turned to varnish! Does anyone know what fuel tanks were put in them? It might be better to replace then to try and clean it.
When you post to the forums, please choose a subject that summarizes your post. "1955 Shay T-Bird" is being updated now.

My ‘55 had the original metal tank. It was cleaned in 1980 and coated. When I got it three years ago the coating was pealing and it appeared there was rust in spots. I bought a replacement tank from Concourse, I think, they didn’t have any stainless tanks, and it almost fit perfectly! The filler neck was about 1/2” off, but with a little persuasion I got it in and was able to get the rubber gasket around the neck. For what’s it’s worth I’d buy a new one, or you can have my old one! Depending on how long you’re going to keep the car and if you use non-ethanol fuel a steel one should last 20 years. Ethanol fuel, maybe less? Always use Stabel in a full tank for storage.

I forgot what the Shay's running gear was based on, but I think it was a Ford product. If you can find out this, the tank may have come from the same car.

Found this looking around since I had little knowledge of this company…. Look down about 15 paragraphs where it describes the Ford Fairmount and Pinto
Maybe there is a clue here

I got a stainless steel tank and new sender unit. Blow out the lines from the carb back to the tank before connecting. You will probably need carb rebuild kit too. Tank from Auto City Classics $199.00.

Call a local radiator shop and inquire about about having it cleaned. This is a chemical tank cleaning that works very well and usually costs less than 100.00. Since the Shay replicas are fiberglass bodies they have a frame. They do not use a "chassis" from another car. They would use some components. The fuel tank would probably be very close in shape to an original.

Meaning of Frame and Chassis​

A vehicle frame is the main structure of the chassis. All the other components, including the chassis, are fastened to the frame.

Frame.JPG

A chassis is the skeletal framework of a vehicle on which most of the mechanical parts like tires, axle assemblies, steering, brakes, and the engine are fastened.

Chassis.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Classy Chassis!

I don't know about Shay, but I had to replace the gas tank and lines on my '56 due to rust. I got the tank and lines from Eckler. Installing the tank was no problem but the lines were a bear. I would suggest replacing the lines if you have to replace the tank.

I never replaced the lines when I did the tank, but I watched the fuel filter bowl for sediment and it’s still clear & clean.

Back