1955 Rocker panels assembly

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M

MN Tom

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Starting to replace the floor in my 1955.
The previous owner had started (barely) on the passenger side
How are the inner and outer rocker panels mated together?
Looks like he used pop rivets on the top but the bottom is wide open.

Your help is appreciated

Tom

Subject 1955 Rocker panels changed to 1955 Rocker panels assembly

12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

Yours may be pop rivited but I'm of the opinion that they should be welded wherever possible to provide structural strength.
They can be positioned with clamps, screws, rivits or clecos but then should be welded in place.
I screwed mine in place then plug welded between the screws in predrilled holes. On the bottom I clamped the overlapping flanges and plug welded these also. Fore and aft I made continuous welds.
hope this helps. 5B496EF9-41C5-4B4D-B72A-DD1CC24453D9.jpegE2BF4D79-FA81-430B-9410-D80B975C6A51.jpeg

Yours may be pop rivited but I'm of the opinion that they should be welded wherever possible to provide structural strength.
They can be positioned with clamps, screws, rivits or clecos but then should be welded in place.
I screwed mine in place then plug welded between the screws in predrilled holes. On the bottom I clamped the overlapping flanges and plug welded these also. Fore and aft I made continuous welds.
hope this helps. View attachment 16228View attachment 16229
Thank you for your advice and especially the pictures.

Tom

Back