1955 recommended manual transmission servicing

Lil Blue 55

Lil Blue 55

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Have a three speed with overdrive. What's you preferred procedure. Finding lots of conflicting info.
Like oil weight, drain plugs and location, preferred method. Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have a three speed with overdrive. What's you preferred procedure. Finding lots of conflicting info.
Can't imagine not owning the shop manual when you do work yourself. $35 is a low price to pay when you want it done correctly.

Following this post, as I bought a 56 16 months ago which had sat for 3 years in a barn. After 8 months of Sunday's, I got it back on the road but have yet to address servicing the transmission. I did change the oil in the differential but think it would probably be a good idea to change the fluid in the transmission. I'll keep an eye open on this topic and thanks for asking about something I've been wondering for some time now.

Once you put it up on ramps it's pretty easy. Drain plug is on the bottom. Typically it's a plug with a square head. It's an old car, that plug could have also been replaced with one that has a square hole.
Normally the fill plug is on the right side. It should look the same. Not difficult to find. Now I'm going off my failing memory here, but I believe that those transmissions use 75w-90 oil.

Just chiming in here, If the trans has an overdrive there are two fill plugs on the right side of the trans. The second plug is towards the back and hard to see. That is the fill hole for the overdrive.

Back