1955 rear end noise

Dtbird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1955 t-bird wanting to sell but it has a klunking noise in the rear end. I think it’s coming from axel run out. No other symptoms. Does not seem to be coming from any suspension. Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

rear U-joint?

If you still can’t find the noise pull tire and drum off and make sure all the springs are all in place on the brakes. Also check that the bolts holding the axle to the axle flange is tight. That holds the backing plate to the axle also. If you still can’t find the noise take it to a dependable service station and have them check the back lash in the ring and pinion gears. There should only be 3 to 8 thousands back lash. Good luck Rick.

Had the drums off, all is well, a little play in the Axel but not much. I did notice the rubber between the spring shackles and the through bolts were badly cracked. However I can't replicate the noise any way but car running and moving back and forth slightly makes a creaking noise or clunking Thanks for the suggestions.

Hope you can solve the problem. Have someone walk next to the car as you move it and see if they can tell you where the is coming from. Sound travels through the car, what you think is the left side be in the right.

Hope you can solve the problem. Have someone walk next to the car as you move it and see if they can tell you where the is coming from. Sound travels through the car, what you think is the left side be in the right.
Will do thanks

the pinion shaft can come loose and hit the inside of the housing as it turns. pull off the rear end cover and look

Are you sure it is neither of the universal joints, per the suggestion above? IMO they are the most likely causes.

you DO realize this si all FREE advice!! sometimes not the BEST advice! please let us know who guessed it right!

Back