1955 Power Brakes, Steering & Windows upgrades

MJB1

MJB1

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone
I have a 55T Bird I would like to do a restoration on this winter.
It has power windows and power seat along with 6 volt positive ground. The body and frame is in good shape.
I would like to install power brakes and power steering on it as I know they were options back in 55.
I know there are electric power steering kits available for it but looking for opinions on should I install
the original power steering and power brakes and should I convert to 12 volt ?
Would this devalue the car in anyway?
Thank you for your thoughts

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
I have a 55T Bird I would like to do a restoration on this winter.
It has power windows and power seat along with 6 volt positive ground. The body and frame is in good shape.
I would like to install power brakes and power steering on it as I know they were options back in 55.
I know there are electric power steering kits available for it but looking for opinions on should I install
the original power steering and power brakes and should I convert to 12 volt ?
Would this devalue the car in anyway?
Thank you for your thoughts

This is something you have to decide on your own based on your views and outlook on your car. If you want your car to handle more like a new car, then making modification to that end is what you should do. There are endless possibilities to upgrade your brakes, steering, suspension, If you decide that is what you want to do, then seek advice on which upgrades will give you the desired ride and handling you desire.

This is YOUR car and it should reflect your ideal of what you expect from the car. I personally prefer stock cars with little or no modification. If it were my car, I would put in the factory power steering and the factory power brakes. I fully understand that the old style brakes and steering are no where near as good as the current steering and brake options.

Another consideration is your use of the car, Is this a Sunday driver or do you plan on commuting with the car as daily transportation. If you plan on using this for daily transportation, then it may be in your benefit to upgrade the vehicle with more modern and technically superior upgrades.

Whatever you decide, there is no right or wrong.

Back