1955 Needs starter fluid in carb to start

D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
n my 1955 Tbird, for years I had no problem, but within the last couple of years when the car sits in a normal garage, car starts right up.
It drives beautifully. Then when I stop the engine and if it sets in the sun on a warm day, the engine will turn over til there is no battery power left, but won't start. I make sure that I shoot starter fluid into the carb. Twice now, the following happened. A person would let me connect to their car with battery cables. Their car would run at a higher RPM, but it would not be until my engine turned over for a number of minutes and with me shooting starter fluid into the carb, would it miraculously start.
Any and all help would be helpful.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

your heading should have a brief description of the problem
This is so others with a simular problem can refer to your thread for help

Last edited by a moderator:
@DiIanni this is your second post without a subject that summarizes your post. Once again, as I discussed with you yesterday, when you post to the forums, your subject should include your model year as well as a short summary of what your post is about. Also discussed, you do not need to include the make/model of your car in the subject since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site.

I have updated your subject to summarize your post.

summary.jpg
summary-2.jpg
model-year.jpg

Let’s see, this could be several things.

Is there fuel in the fuel filter? When’s the last time you change the fuel filter and the fuel line input screen to the carburetor?
Check fuel pump output.

Could be vapor lock?
Loosen the gas cap, do you hear rushing air? If so you need to vent the cap by removing a slight bit of the cap gasket on the inside. Or get a vented cap. Make sure your metal fuel lines aren’t touching any part of the engine. These babies do run hot. Fuel could be boiling off or evaporating from a hot intake manifold?

Take off the air cleaner and cycle the throttle, do you hear the accelerator pump pushing gas into the carburetor? Does the car stumble when accelerating when you push on the accelerator? if so maybe you need a new diaphragm on the accelerator pump?

Are you flooding the engine on a restart? Do you see black smoke out the back when it does start? If so maybe you’re giving it too much gas on a restart? White smoke it would be from the starter fluid.

I’ve heard using starter fluid it’s not the best thing for it causes preignition but when you’re in a bind it may be necessary.

Is your timing set to 6°-7° BTDC? Check your timing for proper advance.

If the car starts and runs it’s probably not the coil or distributor. Any loose or frayed wires?

I’m out of bullets maybe somebody else has an idea? Good luck.

Have you checked your vacuum hoses? How does it run when warm?

When my car sits in my garage. It starts quite easily. When I drive it for a while and then stop somewhere, I have trouble starting it again.
The engine turns over, but even with starter fluid shot into the carburetor, it won't start. If I get someone to connect jumper cables to batteries, the engine turns over for at least 2-3 minutes and if I am lucky, the engine will start. BTW, I only use high test ethanol free fuel.
Any help is most appreciated.
PS I have several vintage cars including a 1956 t-bird, but it is only my 55 tbird that has the problem

When my car sits in my garage. It starts quite easily. When I drive it for a while and then stop somewhere, I have trouble starting it again.
The engine turns over, but even with starter fluid shot into the carburetor, it won't start. If I get someone to connect jumper cables to batteries, the engine turns over for at least 2-3 minutes and if I am lucky, the engine will start. BTW, I only use high test ethanol free fuel.
Any help is most appreciated.
PS I have several vintage cars including a 1956 t-bird, but it is only my 55 tbird that has the problem
When pushing accelerator can you see fuel entering carburetor? I believe vapor lock is caused by heat, excess idling, etc.? Has carburetor been properly tuned/adjusted? When was last rebuild?

If your car is still 6 volt be sure the cables to the battery are for 6 volt. Including from the negative post to solenoid and solenoid to starter. There is a big difference in 6 volt and 12 volt cables. I had the problem you have, realized it had 22 volt cables. I changed to 6 volt cables, problem solved.

When pushing accelerator can you see fuel entering carburetor? I believe vapor lock is caused by heat, excess idling, etc.? Has carburetor been properly tuned/adjusted? When was last rebuild?
The clear glass bulb always has fuel in it, but that may be somewhat irrelevant since I have someone squirting starter fluid directly into the carb.
It surely appears to be a vapor lock, but I have no idea as to how deal with it. I just drilled a 1/8th " hole into the gas cap.. I wrapped foil insolation around the fuel line within the engine. Any additional thoughts are most welcome.

The clear glass bulb always has fuel in it, but that may be somewhat irrelevant since I have someone squirting starter fluid directly into the carb.
It surely appears to be a vapor lock, but I have no idea as to how deal with it. I just drilled a 1/8th " hole into the gas cap.. I wrapped foil insolation around the fuel line within the engine. Any additional thoughts are most welcome.
I have heard of adding a couple more gaskets between the carb & manifold acting as more insulation. Doubling up gaskets in this situation is not a problem.
You also stated that this issue has shown up out of nowhere. I would check the condition of your exhaust damper to make sure it's not stuck closed and constantly sending all the right bank exhaust up through the intake manifold overheating it and your carb.

Does the engine turn over slower than when it is cold?
If so check the condition of your battery cables,
if they are old or a recommended above if you have 12volt size cables on a 6 volt car
this could cause a slower cranking rpm

It is very important that you dicribe your problem with as much detail as possible
This will eliminate so many theories

n my 1955 Tbird, for years I had no problem, but within the last couple of years when the car sits in a normal garage, car starts right up.
It drives beautifully. Then when I stop the engine and if it sets in the sun on a warm day, the engine will turn over til there is no battery power left, but won't start. I make sure that I shoot starter fluid into the carb. Twice now, the following happened. A person would let me connect to their car with battery cables. Their car would run at a higher RPM, but it would not be until my engine turned over for a number of minutes and with me shooting starter fluid into the carb, would it miraculously start.
I have the same problem with my 60 square back. If it sits for a couple of weeks, sometimes less, it loses its prime and I need to prime with gas or starting fluid, so I hope you get some replies that will explain my dilemna

Based upon your description, sounds like vapor lock or evaporation. Do you pump the gas pedal When cranking? Forgive me for being a Captain Obvious

Don't turn key on dont turn engine over have some one look down carb throat see if pump jets are squirting a streem of gas. If you are handy you can pull top of carb replace pump jet plunger can dry out from sitting or get worn out also the ha.ber it sits in needs to have gas in it all the time ther is alittle hole at bottom also the lite pipes that shoot the gas can get stopped up. If you're using either based starting fluid stop its dangerous and can cause damage to youre motor we use b12. You can spray in youre carb while it is running jets etc you may think some one put a new engine in it. It is also an ecclent starter fluid.

Don't turn key on dont turn engine over have some one look down carb throat see if pump jets are squirting a streem of gas. If you are handy you can pull top of carb replace pump jet plunger can dry out from sitting or get worn out also the ha.ber it sits in needs to have gas in it all the time ther is alittle hole at bottom also the lite pipes that shoot the gas can get stopped up. If you're using either based starting fluid stop its dangerous and can cause damage to youre motor we use b12. You can spray in youre carb while it is running jets etc you may think some one put a new engine in it. It is also an ecclent starter fluid.
I forgot to say pump accelerator while you're looking in carb throat wear safety glasses did know what temperature this was happening in old days people put close pi.ns on gas line to cool it could try it for fun. Pump it many times if it still doesn't start and the carb cleaner start it right up every time.its the pump jets or carb trash.

Back