1955 Mystery Steering Switch

Another possibility would be it's a shunt on the pressure side. If so there should be two T's added to the system. One T in the high pressure line coming out of the pump and one T in the return line going back into the reservoir. That would be how I would have done it to avoid pressurizing the pump with a blocking valve in the high pressure side. It would change the system so that the Stuff below sort of floats along with the linage without providing any assist whenever the shunt valve was turned on.

All good theories but it does have the stock pump, reservoir and other items that would have come with a bird that had this option from the factory. We tried to get the records but this is an early bird that the factory info was lost in the ‘70’s(?) fire. I do not know of a way to find the options package on the car other than that. Still looking, but the old guys in the know are few and far between these days.

All good theories but it does have the stock pump, reservoir and other items that would have come with a bird that had this option from the factory. We tried to get the records but this is an early bird that the factory info was lost in the ‘70’s(?) fire. I do not know of a way to find the options package on the car other than that. Still looking, but the old guys in the know are few and far between these days.
Have you tried contacting Frank Stubbs?

New old guy here. It sure looks to me like the car has a later rack & pinion steering setup, from what I see in the pic. Not aware of any aftermarket PS assists, but from that close up pic, it is certainly not factory. Is the original setup with the ram underneath on it? Any chance of a underneath pic?

I am looking at that oil filter, and it has me confused also. A PS setup from a Saturn is electric, and adjustable. I have seen it used on other cars.

I have had 3 55's going back to '64, and remember some of the old stuff. Currently have a '55 with PS.

Are there any other additional fittings at the pump or valve for this system?
I will have to get it up on a lift and get some good shots from the underside. Stay tuned....

Back