1955 Mounting Radials on stock wheels

Ed R

Ed R

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All happy Thanksgiving! I have a question about mounting radial tires to the original stock wheels on the 55 TBird I had radials on the car once before and want to go back, but I understand that radial tires can affect the wheels. In the past I hade wheel cover creeping. Now I have wire wheel covers with the no clip design and bias tires. Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hubcap creep is usually worn tabs on the hubcap. Or hard driving.

I had radial tires on the original 59 tbird wheels and lost a hub cap. From then on always checked to see that hub caps were secure, they did creep off. Converted brakes to disc which required new wheels that would clear calipers. These wheels are stronger and original hub caps are in use and do not creep now. Wheels were from Summit.

Hi All happy Thanksgiving! I have a question about mounting radial tires to the original stock wheels on the 55 TBird I had radials on the car once before and want to go back, but I understand that radial tires can affect the wheels. In the past I hade wheel cover creeping. Now I have wire wheel covers with the no clip design and bias tires. Thanks in advance.
Replaced my old 4 ply Remingtons with Diamondback Classics radials on my stock wheels...huge difference and should have done it years ago!

Back