1955 manual window regulator removal and replacement

C

carlwright2

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am looking for the steps, in order, to remove the manual window regulator on my 55. I have the shop manual and the illustrations and reference manual. I still can't figure out what steps to go through. Does the glass have to come out? Does the "bracket" that the regulator is bolted to have to come out also. I took the regulator loose from the bracket and removed the spring retainer that holds the regulator arm to the scissor assembly, but I can't seem to get the regulator free to come out the inspection panel. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am looking for the steps, in order, to remove the manual window regulator on my 55. I have the shop manual and the illustrations and reference manual. I still can't figure out what steps to go through. Does the glass have to come out? Does the "bracket" that the regulator is bolted to have to come out also. I took the regulator loose from the bracket and removed the spring retainer that holds the regulator arm to the scissor assembly, but I can't seem to get the regulator free to come out the inspection panel. Thanks for any help that can be provided.
There is a bolt at the very bottom in the rectangular cut out? Did you get that one window also needs to come out for clearance

You have to unfasten the window from the regulator and then remove the glass through the top. Then unbolt the regulator from the door shell and bring it through the inspection hole.

Thanks Martin P and paul5456 for your replies. I have the scissor assembly and the glass out of the door. However, I still cannot get the regulator out. I have wrestled with it for an hour. The shaft will not clear and let the regulator come out. It is too long. If I get the shaft in a position to clear, the back side of the regulator hangs up on the door pillar. Does the pillar have to be removed to get the regulator out? Thanks again for any help.

Thanks Martin P and paul5456 for your replies. I have the scissor assembly and the glass out of the door. However, I still cannot get the regulator out. I have wrestled with it for an hour. The shaft will not clear and let the regulator come out. It is too long. If I get the shaft in a position to clear, the back side of the regulator hangs up on the door pillar. Does the pillar have to be removed to get the regulator out? Thanks again for any help.
Did you manage to get this out? What was the solution

I'm not picturing this. The whole assembly should come out in one piece with the glass removed. It will be spring when my garage thaws as I will be doing the same to clean and re-grease the gearbox.

I'm not picturing this. The whole assembly should come out in one piece with the glass removed. It will be spring when my garage thaws as I will be doing the same to clean and re-grease the gearbox.
I was able to finally get the regulator out. The secret was removing the front door pillar that houses the front glass run. I think I took two screws out, one on the front side of the door pillar near the door shell, and a second that you had to access through the door shell at the bottom of the pillar. The pillar then came straight up and out. This allowed plenty of clearance to bring the regulator through the door shell and out the access hole. If there is a way to get that regulator out without doing this, I couldn't figure it out. I have everything back together. I'm still fighting some gremlins with getting everything adjusted so that the window goes up and down smoothly with no catches or binding. It's not bad, but not as good as the passenger side. I have seen some other posts where people indicated that these adjustments can be tedious.

I was able to finally get the regulator out. The secret was removing the front door pillar that houses the front glass run. I think I took two screws out, one on the front side of the door pillar near the door shell, and a second that you had to access through the door shell at the bottom of the pillar. The pillar then came straight up and out. This allowed plenty of clearance to bring the regulator through the door shell and out the access hole. If there is a way to get that regulator out without doing this, I couldn't figure it out. I have everything back together. I'm still fighting some gremlins with getting everything adjusted so that the window goes up and down smoothly with no catches or binding. It's not bad, but not as good as the passenger side. I have seen some other posts where people indicated that these adjustments can be tedious.
My drivers side it totally messed up, second glass removal and replacement, the darn arms on the scissors are not matching well with the rollers, front is better than rear, the rear has to be pushed really hard towards the outside shell of door in order to get the roller engaged into the arm. Then half way up that scissor arm binds with the arm which is attached to the i side of the door. Not much adjustment that I can see, aside from pulling the entire regulator out and checking the arms to see what is tweaked. They don’t sell power window scissor arms anymore so they have to be repaired.

Back