1955, is my Battery Charger Jr. overcharging at 6.8V

photoguy

photoguy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Evening wonderful people.

I just received my new "Battery Tender Junior", this is a replacement, my other one died from getting wet.

This new one seems to be overcharging? I just read with volt meter, and it's at 6.8V, don't want to ruin my battery, it's less than a year old. The "red" charging light stays on, and keeps charging, hasn't switched to green like it's supposed to do when completed. I know resting voltage should be 6.3-6.4? Should I discharge the battery to maybe 6V and try the tender again? Maybe it needs some sort of reboot?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 6.33.54 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How old is the battery? Are there any accessories pulling power? Is it connected correctly? Try disconnecting a battery terminal and try again. With generators charging voltage will be higher than 6v and the regulator will open & close when full charge is restored. I don’t think 6.8 volts will damage your battery. Haven’t measured my generator charging voltage yet but like 12V systems it charge’s around 14.2V. My 6V battery tender does turn green after a short period. Call Deltran. I will go out and measure mine.

How old is the battery? Are there any accessories pulling power? Is it connected correctly? Try disconnecting a battery terminal and try again. With generators charging voltage will be higher than 6v and the regulator will open & close when full charge is restored. I don’t think 6.8 volts will damage your battery. My 6V battery tender does turn green after a short period. Call Deltran.
Purchased battery about 8 months ago, no accessories pulling power (clock doesn't work constantly, maybe draining a little?), battery is connected properly, has new appropriately thick cables. Nothing has changed since last tender, I'm pulling the generator this weekend to have rebuilt (suspect in general).

I'll try disconnecting a terminal. I also may discharge the battery to 5.8ish, and try tender again.

Thank you!

Clark has power to it at all times, and only spins when the spring tension is drawn down, but it shouldn’t be enough to make the tender keep charging on a full battery.
Purchased battery about 8 months ago, no accessories pulling power (clock doesn't work constantly, maybe draining a little?), battery is connected properly, has new appropriately thick cables. Nothing has changed since last tender, I'm pulling the generator this weekend to have rebuilt (suspect in general).

I'll try disconnecting a terminal. I also may discharge the battery to 5.8ish, and try tender again.

Thank you!

Actually, the stock clock has power to it at all times on the armature and only rotates the spring when needed but it shouldn’t be enough to keep the tender charging. I just measured mine it’s 6.54 V fully charged with the tender green light on. Maybe your Deltran is defective?

let it do it's thing. Some of these new chargers have automatic deep cycle charging that almost look like it's overcharging but actually knocking off the sulfites that collect on the plates. Then drop down to the 1 AMP plus or minus to maintain. But keep an eye on it.

Clark has power to it at all times, and only spins when the spring tension is drawn down, but it shouldn’t be enough to make the tender keep charging on a full battery.

Actually, the stock clock has power to it at all times on the armature and only rotates the spring when needed but it shouldn’t be enough to keep the tender charging. I just measured mine it’s 6.54 V fully charged with the tender green light on. Maybe your Deltran is defective?
Your 6.54 is pretty right on.

Thank you!!

let it do it's thing. Some of these new chargers have automatic deep cycle charging that almost look like it's overcharging but actually knocking off the sulfites that collect on the plates. Then drop down to the 1 AMP plus or minus to maintain. But keep an eye on it.
How far is too far?

Thank you!

Maybe a day or so. have lots of experience with marine batteries. And don't ad water before charging. The electrolyte expands while charging unless it's just enough to cover the plates.
If it keeps charging, at what voltage should I disconnect? I'm not sure what's too. high.

Thank you!

Maybe a day or so. have lots of experience with marine batteries. And don't ad water before charging. The electrolyte expands while charging unless it's just enough to cover the plates.
I let it do its thing, and it’s flashing green @6.84V, solid green should be coming up soon. I‘m assuming this isn’t too high? I’ll update again when green is solid.

Thank you!
Okay, it's solid green now @6.54V. You were right, it worked itself out.

Thanks a ton!

Evening wonderful people.

I just received my new "Battery Tender Junior", this is a replacement, my other one died from getting wet.

This new one seems to be overcharging? I just read with volt meter, and it's at 6.8V, don't want to ruin my battery, it's less than a year old. The "red" charging light stays on, and keeps charging, hasn't switched to green like it's supposed to do when completed. I know resting voltage should be 6.3-6.4? Should I discharge the battery to maybe 6V and try the tender again? Maybe it needs some sort of reboot?

Thank you!

View attachment 27831
Whether it is a Battery charger or the car voltage regulator, the output from them will be higher than the rated voltage of the battery you are charging. Chilton's Auto Repair Manual 1954-1963 page 345, 1955 T-Bird 6 volt battery, the car voltage regulator should put out 7.8 Volts . The 12 volt system charge depends on outside air temperature, 75 °F it would be adjusted to read 14.6-15.4 output voltage to the battery, table 2 page 228 Ford Car Shop Manual 1956 .

Back