1955-intermittent starting

Y
Last seen
Viewing thread ISO 1957 intake manifold studs
Thunderbird Year
1955- intermittent starting, sometimes starts with ignition switch, shut off, and will not restart without using remote starter, have replaced ignition switfch, (2nd one), starter solenoid, neutral start switch. Cables are correct and starter rebuilt. Very embarrising when time to leave the show/parking spot. Factory 6-volt positive ground.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Next time it doesn't start, start checking for loose or dirty wire connections. You may be losing voltage through bad or dirty connections, old battery cables, or a tired battery. Might also be a good idea to test the generator output.

When it doesn't start I assume you mean the starter does nothing. WHen that happens do you hear the solenoid clicking when you turn the key. That info could help you focus on which parts of the circut are causing the problem. If the solenoid clicks it would suggest the ignition switch is OK and the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid is ok. Also bring a voltmeter and see where you have 12 volts when this problem occurs.

When it doesn't start I assume you mean the starter does nothing. WHen that happens do you hear the solenoid clicking when you turn the key. That info could help you focus on which parts of the circut are causing the problem. If the solenoid clicks it would suggest the ignition switch is OK and the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid is ok. Also bring a voltmeter and see where you have 12 volts when this problem occurs.
His profile shows it's a '55. But those 6v systems can be a bit quirky and your advice is sound. The cables may be the correct size but could be corroded internally. An ohm meter could check that. They fail more easily when warm which it sounds like.

1955- intermittent starting, sometimes starts with ignition switch, shut off, and will not restart without using remote starter, have replaced ignition switfch, (2nd one), starter solenoid, neutral start switch. Cables are correct and starter rebuilt. Very embarrising when time to leave the show/parking spot. Factory 6-volt positive ground.
I had the same problem. Found the battery was not charging when the engine was running. Changed the voltage regulator & that didn't fix it . Changed the generator (rebuilt) and that fixed it. Good luck, Hilde.

1955- intermittent starting, sometimes starts with ignition switch, shut off, and will not restart without using remote starter, have replaced ignition switfch, (2nd one), starter solenoid, neutral start switch. Cables are correct and starter rebuilt.
Yuda,
By remote starter I understand you mean connecting a switch the battery to the post and other end on the starter solenoid? If that starts the car then I would think the issue is in the wiring to the solenoid so something in the ignition switch, neutral safety switch of the wiring connecting them to the solenoid is the issue. Have you tried the classic trick of wiggling the gearshift forward and aback while turning the key? A bad or slightly mis-adjusted neutral safety switch can give the symptoms you are seeing and moving the gearshift while starting the car will find the spot that will let the circuit complete and start the car.

You said you have remote starter. Work with the company that installed it.

Back