1955 idle rpm

Funny, maybe I'm chasing a ghost that doesn't exist!? I took her out today, 90° city driving 25mph-55mph and took along my laser temp gun trying to calibrate my mind to the temp gauge. Well, 1/2 way (50%) was about 160°, 65% = 170°, 80%=180° and all the way to the end of the white line (90%) was 190°! So I'm guessing "H" must be 210+°? Normal driving is about 170°-180° depending on speed on a 90° day, less on cooler days. Long traffic lights about 185°. SO I did some other measurements, exhaust manifold ~360°. Intake manifold cylinders 1 & 4=185°. #3 (hot spot on intake, both sides) 210°. This tells me that the intake gasket is the original type with the restricted holes. I forgot to measure oil temp... ANYWAY I'm now calibrated and will stop worrying until it passes beyond the white line to "H"!!!
Too funny! Because modern cars run at about 50% on the temp gauge I was getting paranoid. Back to the 50's! LOL!!! Cheers!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Funny, maybe I'm chasing a ghost that doesn't exist!? I took her out today, 90° city driving 25mph-55mph and took along my laser temp gun trying to calibrate my mind to the temp gauge. Well, 1/2 way (50%) was about 160°, 65% = 170°, 80%=180° and all the way to the end of the white line (90%) was 190°! So I'm guessing "H" must be 210+°? Normal driving is about 170°-180° depending on speed on a 90° day, less on cooler days. Long traffic lights about 185°. SO I did some other measurements, exhaust manifold ~360°. Intake manifold cylinders 1 & 4=185°. #3 (hot spot on intake, both sides) 210°. This tells me that the intake gasket is the original type with the restricted holes. I forgot to measure oil temp... ANYWAY I'm now calibrated and will stop worrying until it passes beyond the white line to "H"!!!
Too funny! Because modern cars run at about 50% on the temp gauge I was getting paranoid. Back to the 50's! LOL!!! Cheers!
A lot of modern "gauges" are just idiot lights...they look like gauges, but they really simply indicate that the system is operating (e.g., the oil pressure "gauge", e.g., usually only means that if it's off the peg, there's *some* oil pressure (or at least more than the minimum), but that's it.

Back