1955 Hinge pillar reinforcement

rwood
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,
I have the pleasure of owning a 1955 tbird by the name of Lucile. She is in great mechanical shape. But she is in need of some cancer surgery on the hinge post on the drivers side and floors/ supports. I am well versed at rust work / welding and ( aside from paint) pretty much all other facets of restoration. Lucile is a driver, not a 100 point restoration. That being said I would like to ask if anyone has ever reinforced the hinge pillar structurally from under the car without having to remove the fender. I am replacing inner rocker rockers as well. I am planing on x bracing the body and keeping it on the frame, then starting with the floors from inside to outside. Once the floors are done Here is where I am in a quandary. I was planning on bracing the hinge pillar from the back of the pillar to the floor/ front floor brace. Any thoughts ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you are handy with a torch and know how to weld properly, replacement panels are available. I would contact Hill's or CASCO and talk to their restoration managers. I have no idea of how much deconstruction is involved but they will know. You may have to chase more rust damaged metal than thought but it sounds you have a good knowledge base.

Back