1955 hardtop scars on rear deck

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I can’t find the thread about the hardtop vinyl strips that somebody was worried about some kind of residue left on the rear deck paint that needed buffing out, but I just took the hardtop off and used the clear vinyl protective strips and there was no residue or scratches when i took them off the rear deck. So they work!
Concours part# A6 rear deck protector. $21.50

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I can’t find the thread about the hardtop vinyl strips that somebody was worried about some kind of residue left on the rear deck paint that needed buffing out, but I just took the hardtop off and used the clear vinyl protective strips and there was no residue or scratches when i took them off the rear deck. So they work!
Yup they work, and if your gaskets leave any goo after aging a new set is cheap V.S. the labor and solvents to clean it off the paint. Most of the suppliers offer them they even help the gaskets from chaffing the paint.

I as well use them with relatively good results. After hard top being on all through the fall and winter storage there was only a slight line that was pretty easy to wax off, new paint in that area last spring I may add. I went one step further and bought 2 sets, one for the hard top and one for the soft top, and trimmed them so that only about 1/4” protrudes from the outside of the top. The new paint in that area was to repair really deep chaff marks from years of previous ownership. Overall pretty happy with the little vinyl strips

I use a heavy vinyl product purchased from CASCO (available elsewhere) and works great

Bug and tar remover works well to remove the residue dab and let it sit for awhile may take a couple try's if its heavy rubber from the weather strip.

Bug and tar remover works well to remove the residue dab and let it sit for awhile may take a couple try's if its heavy rubber from the weather strip.
I also used mineral spirits that I had on hand with the same results. The deck and strips collected that goo so I replaced them thanking them, and ordered new protective strips after I had the weather stripping replaced.

When installing either top, remember to wipe down (preferably wash) the deck as even dust can make scratches,

I actually wasnt happy with the vinyl protective strips as water still got under them so what l did was to get clear wrap in the shape of the vinyl strips
( actually used them as a template) and this now works perfectly . no water gets under and no marks

I actually wasnt happy with the vinyl protective strips as water still got under them so what l did was to get clear wrap in the shape of the vinyl strips
( actually used them as a template) and this now works perfectly . no water gets under and no marks
Innovative and using a household staple. Just wondering on the ease of removal when removing the tops. Sounds messy and less protection of the paint due to the thinness.

Thin dense foam, cut to the shape of the vinyl piece, is another suggestion. There was some one making these, but I don't know if still available and I have lost the name.

Back