1955 Hardtop Headliner dye

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are replacements Concours, CASCO, Larry’s, NPD, not sure about MAC.

I bought mine at Concours, fit perfectly BUT I knew I was over my head so I had it professionally installed!

I’ve used vinyl spray before on an other car door cards. Worked well., but remember the spray will/could fill in the holes in the vinyl headliner!

If you order a new one, get a new tack strip as well. The old paper laminated one might not hold the new staples.

Good luck

I used a vinyl spray on my sun visors and am very pleased with the results. Over a year later they still look like new. I don't think the spray would plug the holes in your headliner. It is the consistency of spray paint. You would, of course, have to mask carefully.

@Selfrich your subject should on future posts should be a brief title, not multiple sentences. I have updated it.

I guess I should’ve made myself a little clearer on my statement about the spray might fill in the holes. It would depend on how heavy of a hand you have on the spray can I would imagine. Flat surfaces works fine.

Were all headliners on the hardtops a cream color?

The trick with any of those vinyl dyes is prep, the material has to be scrupulously clean and then the dye should be done in two coats LIGHTLY - almost misting it on; I've done a bunch of Corvette and Mustang interior parts with dye and it works well when properly applied.

I resolved the problem. My headliner was in good shape, a small tear that I used some vinyl repair - Loctite Vinyl Fabric & Plastic Repair Flexible Adhesive and had stains around the rear window. For the stains I purchased the white Vinyl spray paint, Dupli-Color® Vinyl & Fabric Coating. I taped everything off and used two cans. It looks better than new and was easier and cheaper than putting a new headliner in. My red carpet was a it faded, so I bought a can of the red and used that on the carpet. Looks like new!
20221020_130329.jpg20221020_130259 (1).jpg20221020_130340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back