1955 Gas tank pressure?

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Should the gas cap be vented? I notice my tank gets pressurized even after a short drive.
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. Added for you.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Should the gas cap be vented? I notice my tank gets pressurized even after a short drive.
Thanks
So does my 57 and I have tried two vented caps to no avail. Took one and drilled two holes in either side and no more pressure.

Thanks
Gas Cap Tech Tip: The gas cap on your T-Bird must be vented to allow air to enter the tank. If air cannot get into the tank vacuum will be created which can stop the flow of fuel to your engine. Last summer, I had to replace my gas cap and I discovered that when I removed the gas cap after running the engine for a while, I could hear the sound of air rushing into the tank. To vent the fuel tank, the 1955 and 1956 gas caps have a rib stamped into the surface which allows air to enter from the outside edge of the cap to the center. The problem with my gas cap was that the inside diameter of the gasket was so small that it prevented the venting process. The problem was easily fixed by removing the gasket from the gas cap and increasing the inside diameter of the gasket by cutting it with a razor blade. Removing just a little bit of the gasket from the inside diameter corrected my venting problem.

1-stamped-rib.jpg2-inside-diameter-gasket.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
All gas tanks should be able to draw in air to replace the fuel taken out while driving other wise the fuel tank would be trying to suck its self flat. Near the top of the neck on the filler there is normally a vent hole with a pipe attached. This also allows the fuel to escape when the fuel gets hot from roads temperatures. This pipe is long and sometimes wrapped around the fuel tank to the side of the tank.

Back