1955 garage or carport?

TomSF

TomSF

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
About to get my 55 and need advice on whether or not building a carport for it is sufficient or if it absolutely needs to be parked in a garage? I live in Northern France where the weather can be pretty wet in the winter but it rarely gets colder than 28°F. Thanks for your advice.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Garages always do better protecting any car from the elements.

About to get my 55 and need advice on whether or not building a carport for it is sufficient or if it absolutely needs to be parked in a garage? I live in Northern France where the weather can be pretty wet in the winter but it rarely gets colder than 28°F. Thanks for your advice.
I agree with Biddle. In addition, I'm not sure you want everyone in the neighborhood and/ or random passers-by being able to walk right up to the car....

I had a '73 Duster I kept under a carport with a cover. I would've built a garage instead but plans shifted when took another job. (I now have 4-car garage)
I will tell you wind can still kick up the cover, animals will still walk on it (or pee, stupid cats). And in extreme cases, 80mph wind storms can make the roof collapse onto your precious car and throw umbrellas and tree branches into it. I've dealt with it all. You might also get critters building nests in it, as a giant rat made a home in my jaguar. Then you have people walking about who just happen to see the car and get curious, which gets old very quickly.

So if you have the ability to build a garage, I 100% recommend that option.

Garage is definitely the best way to go. And BTW, the link that @Bond007 posted points to an indoor-only capsule. That company also provides outdoor capsules. However, I'll still stick with my original recommendation - figure out how to get a garage, even if you might have to rent one close by your home (only from a trusted friend, of course).

@phaelax also makes some good points, not only about what can happen to a car that's outside 4 walls, but especially about privacy.

There is no question that a garage is the only way to go if you have the ability to have one. If you have a garage the next step is to air condition that part of the house or building. I live on the East coast of Florida about 1 1/2 mile from the ocean. Salt air is the main concern. The a/c is not that expensive to run compared to the expensive car you are trying to protect. My main concern was humidity. Before I installed an a/c unit the humidity was running upwards to 80% on some days. Now the RH (relative humidity) is maintained at approx 55-60% RH......and nothing beats pulling into a cool 75 F garage after being on a 95F ride

I would keep my treasure in a garage, The weather can take it's toll on the car with humidity, ran, cold,

I live in California where the humidity is generally low, and I'm juggling my TBird and two other classics between a car canopy carport and an enclosed garage. The end game is making enough room in the garage for all three of them. And about then, no doubt I'll fall for another stray and bring it home. So my dream has long been to own a barn, with room for 20 or so cars...

In the meantime, the only significant problem I've had with the carport was two years ago when wood rats were getting under hoods and building nests, but I quickly discovered how to deter that.

A carport is far superior to storing a car under a tarp for sure.

I would add onto my garage or find a barn before acquiring more cars. I don't like leaving my 2017 Ram 1500 pickup in my driveway, but there's only room in my garage for my 55 T-bird and a lot of junk. My wife won't let me part with most of the junk.

I would add onto my garage or find a barn before acquiring more cars. I don't like leaving my 2017 Ram 1500 pickup in my driveway, but there's only room in my garage for my 55 T-bird and a lot of junk. My wife won't let me part with most of the junk.
An old friend who was much like us had 3 definitions. Tools, things you have acquired over the years to fix stuff, don't mess with it. Stuff, The sundries you have around that you don't use often but are so glad you have them when duty calls. Then there is there the junk. The other 'stuff' you acquired but don't have a current use for but I know as soon as I get rid of it, I'll discover a use.

I understand, I once had three Harleys a 61 T Bird, and a 65 Mustang plus a garden tractor all stuffed in a three car garage ! This became more like a job to clean each one after a ride in the country. I decided to thin out the heard to one Harley, and one thunderbird 1956. Now life is getting less complicated.

I understand, I once had three Harleys a 61 T Bird, and a 65 Mustang plus a garden tractor all stuffed in a three car garage ! This became more like a job to clean each one after a ride in the country. I decided to thin out the heard to one Harley, and one thunderbird 1956. Now life is getting less complicated.
So what did you do with the garden tractor? Letting your yard to go to pasture? LOL

No, I did mange to make room for it....Now I can walk around the "stuff" like a human being instead of climbing on it... LOL !

Back