1955 Fuse locations.

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Where is the fuse box? I've been trying to find the fuses for several items, seats, back-up lights, overdrive, etc., but there doesn't appear to be a central fuse box under the dash or the hood. I have found a couple of in-line fuses under the dash (of course, not the ones I'm looking for) but no fuse box. Is there a Thunderbird supplemental manual that shows the complete schematic of the electrical system and the fuse locations?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Where is the fuse box? I've been trying to find the fuses for several items, seats, back-up lights, overdrive, etc., but there doesn't appear to be a central fuse box under the dash or the hood. I have found a couple of in-line fuses under the dash (of course, not the ones I'm looking for) but no fuse box. Is there a Thunderbird supplemental manual that shows the complete schematic of the electrical system and the fuse locations?
Haha I know what you mean. The '55 doesn't have a fuse box, just inline fuses. Several of the T-Bird parts houses sell aftermarket electrical booklets.

There isn't a Master fuse box on a '55 bird. Only inline fuses (clock, radio,, heater) and circuit breakers. (Seats and windows) There are manuals available. Hill's in Racine, Ohio sells parts and manuals.

99% of the exterior lighting on the car goes thru the headlight switch. It has built-in thermal circuit breakers, no fuses except the small one on the back side for the map/courtesy light above the radio. Photo 1

Photos 2 & 3. If you see any of these little do-dads around the car they are (also) thermal circuit breakers. Power seats & windows, etc.

Photo 4. A few of the accessories have inline fuses.

The wiring to the: ignition, dash idiot lights, Temp & Fuel gauges, generator and horns... has no fuses or circuit breakers.

Photo 5. There is a fuse on the OD relay box on the firewall.

Attachments

• headlight switch fuse holder.jpg
    headlight switch fuse holder.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
  • two circled breakers on the inner cowl.jpg
    two circled breakers on the inner cowl.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 16
  • circuit breaker.jpg
    circuit breaker.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 12
  • clock wire & fuse.jpg
    clock wire & fuse.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
  • OD relay fuse.jpg
    OD relay fuse.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thank you very much. I have been trying to find the fuses for the seats, as shown on the schematics. Didn't know they could be circuit breakers. I'm so frustrated with the wiring on this car, I'm considering replacing all of it, and include a centrally mounted fuse box.

Thank you very much. I have been trying to find the fuses for the seats, as shown on the schematics. Didn't know they could be circuit breakers. I'm so frustrated with the wiring on this car, I'm considering replacing all of it, and include a centrally mounted fuse box.
Learn the original system first and understand how and why. If somebody fiddled with it all bets are off. I learned a lot about 12V systems in cars as a cellular phone installer back when you needed a hard wired phone in your car before hand held units became practical.
Re-wiring is not a small job and unless you learn the why/logic of every circuit you may open a can of worms.

Thanks Ward. I appreciate your concern, but as an old mechanic (76), and a retired electrical & mechanical engineer, I understand the hows and whys of pretty much any system on any vehicle. In my 30s & 40s, I restored and modified a lot of cars. Several required complete rewiring. It starts with making a very accurate wiring schematic, with locations and numbered or colored wiring. Once that's done, it's pretty easy to do, just a lot of work. The completed job makes it all worth it, with nice wire bundles under the dash & hood, and no spaghetti messes.

Back