1955 fuel pump replacement

Docj

Thunderbird Year
Has anyone tried to add the electric fuel pump in series with the manual pump? If the manual pump fails, will the electric pump push fuel through the manual pump (assuming not a gasket failure)?
Mine was set up that way when I bought it. On my drove it home (Long Island to Western KY) it occasionally sputtered, sometimes so seriously that it would die. It would then fire back up. I started clicking on the electric fuel pump at the first sign of a sputter; that worked. I later replaced the manual fuel pump and the frequency and intensity of the sputter significantly improved. Personally, I like having a backup source of fuel pressure.

Thunderbird Year
Has anyone tried to add the electric fuel pump in series with the manual pump? If the manual pump fails, will the electric pump push fuel through the manual pump (assuming not a gasket failure)?
I've done it on a Chevy and iIT WORKS FINE and WILL provide fuel through a mechanical pump failure in most cases.
Mine is activatied by a switch under the dash but ONLY temporarily, like when the carbureated car had sat for a long time to prime the carb or when percolation occured in traffic.

THERE ARE DOWNSIDES; if the mechanical pump oil seal fails the electric pump will push raw gas into the oil crankcase with NO SYMPTOMS to the driver. Diluting the oil and washing down the cylinder walls with gas - NOT good.
If an oil pressure rollover switch is not added, the electric pump WILL CONTINUE TO RUN in an accident, dangerous.
These booster pumps should be for temoprary use only. Period.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 6