1955 Electric fuel pump upgrade advice wanted

HRUVDT564
Last seen
I am bypassing the mechanical fuel pump and using an electric. Any comments or suggestions on which one will be a good one to use? The car is stock with the only upgrade being a 12 volt system and the fuel pump, it has the original 292 with 3 speed.

My bird had an electric pump in it when I got it but now that old pump is making a lot of noise.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am bypassing the mechanical fuel pump and using an electric. Any comments or suggestions on which one will be a good one to use? The car is stock with the only upgrade being a 12 volt system and the fuel pump, it has the original 292 with 3 speed.

My bird had an electric pump in it when I got it but now that old pump is making a lot of noise.

adding some more background:
My bird had the electric pump which ran into the mechanical fuel pump when I got it . my mechanic bypassed the mechanical pump when he turned it up. ( it was running before but since that by pass it is running better at higher speed)
I am in process of replacing body brackets , fuel sending unit and gauge. Next up will be the mechanical pump but for now I want to keep it in the road.

Did your mechanic explain why he bypassed the mechanical pump?
They bypassed it to see if it made a difference. It did, so i'm thinking maybe it may have been something with the mechanical pump.
plan is to put a new electric pump until I can get a mechanical one installed.

Something does not sound right to me. Mechanical fuel pumps are not had to find. I think I got my last one at NAPA.

They bypassed it to see if it made a difference. It did, so i'm thinking maybe it may have been something with the mechanical pump.
plan is to put a new electric pump until I can get a mechanical one installed.
I hear you, I'll just pick up a new mechanical pump and try it without an electric....

I use a Mallory electric pump as they are reliable and quiet

Thanks Guys, just replaced mechanical pump and am ready to install electric as recommended. This 55 Bird has been in storage for the last 20 plus years and have started to bring out of hibernation. I have rep;aced the front brakes with discs and replaced rear brake cylinders bled system. Replaced water pump and radiator. Changed oil and filter oiled cylinders ,manually pulled thru, installed Pertronic ignition and new plugs. Have I missed anything? Advice is appreciated.

Thanks Guys, just replaced mechanical pump and am ready to install electric as recommended. This 55 Bird has been in storage for the last 20 plus years and have started to bring out of hibernation. I have rep;aced the front brakes with discs and replaced rear brake cylinders bled system. Replaced water pump and radiator. Changed oil and filter oiled cylinders ,manually pulled thru, installed Pertronic ignition and new plugs. Have I missed anything? Advice is appreciated.
After sitting in storage for 20 plus years, I'm sure you will have to overhaul the carburetor. I would also remove the fuel sending unit from the fuel tank to see what the inside of the fuel tank looks like. I would hate to damage your new fuel pumps from all of the rust I'm sure you will find inside of the fuel tank.

After you changed the oil and oiled the cylinders, did you perform an engine compression test before you installed the new spark plugs?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

After sitting in storage for 20 plus years, I'm sure you will have to overhaul the carburetor. I would also remove the fuel sending unit from the fuel tank to see what the inside of the fuel tank looks like. I would hate to damage your new fuel pumps from all of the rust I'm sure you will find inside of the fuel tank.

After you changed the oil and oiled the cylinders, did you perform an engine compression test before you installed the new spark plugs?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
The fuel tank is next and I'll back up a step and do a compression test. The carburetor will undoubtedly need an overhaul but is there an acceptable up grade ?

Good suggestion w/r to inspecting the fuel tank. I found an easy way to inspect the tank (when it is empty) is to reach into the tank with my phone and take several pictures.

Back