1955 difficult time re-starting the engine in hot weather

D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Whenever I drive in hot weather, then perhaps stop for a short while, I have a very difficult time re-starting the engine.
I use starting fluid and fortunately I have a strong battery and practically have to wear the battery down trying to start the engine.
Any suggestions??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It might be vapor lock.....Try loosen the gas cap to allow air into the gas tank.

It may be time for a new fuel pump.

There are several threads on over heating in rhis forum. Could be vapor lock, vacuum in the tank caused by a non vented gas cap, fuel line too close to hot manifold, insufficient carburetor gasket stack, etc. is the fuel filter bowl full? Do you hear rushing air when you release the gas cap? Hot engines can evaporate fuel in float bowl requiring extra time to fill it up. I’ve read beware of using starting fluid. ?

I had the same problem with my 292. It happened to be the needle that closes the fuel entrance to the carburetor bowl.by virtue of the force supplied to the needle by the float.
Once the engine was stopped, the remaining gas pressure on the inlet gasoline hose kept filling the bowl until it overflowed into the intake manifold and hence drowning the engine in crude fuel.
Replace the needle and calibrate the fuel level (into the bowl) at the very edge of the level screw, while in idle.
You may want to test if this is your problem by running the engine a few miles and when hot, stop the engine and remove the level screw: If it continues dropping fuel to the outside of the carburetor, your float "inlet needle" is bad.

Sometimes it takes awhile. I once had a hot start problem on an Econoline van. It turned out to be a less than tight connection for the ground cable. I start with the easy ones first and go from there.

Whenever I drive in hot weather, then perhaps stop for a short while, I have a very difficult time re-starting the engine.
I use starting fluid and fortunately I have a strong battery and practically have to wear the battery down trying to start the engine.
Any suggestions??
You might try backing the timing down a couple degrees and make sure the fuel lines are as far away from the intake/block as possible to avoid vapor lock

Any suggestions??
When was the last time you checked the ignition coil? If it is too old and gets very hot, the car will have difficulty starting. I learned this the hard way, getting stranded.

Last edited:
You might try backing the timing down a couple degrees and make sure the fuel lines are as far away from the intake/block as possible to avoid vapor lock
Any suggestions??
If you shut the engine off for a short time just turn the key to start, it should fire right off; if not press accelerator down about 1 third and try again. NEVER PUMP THE GAS IT WILL FLOOD THE CARB. I had my 55 converted to 12 volt and love it.

Back