1955 dash cover photos wanted

Y-8

Y-8

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I enlisted a local shop to recover my dash and they made a mess of it. I seek a couple of pictures to show them how it should be finished. I want to show them the "French seam" as it wraps around the end/side and the glove compartment. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi. This is my first time replying to a message on this board so hope I'm doing this correctly. I just took a picture of my 56 dash that I think is what you're looking for but if not let me know and I'll be glad to take more pictures. My 56 is in the garage for the next 5 months at least and I'm doing a bumper to bumper check and revamp since it's been 20 years since I did a complete frame-off so I'm happy to take as many pictures as you'd like.
Hope this helps.
20191214_073406[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited your title to summarize your post. "1955 dash cover" could mean anything.
modelyear.jpg

That's a beautiful shot, very inspiring, Thanks!

I have attached a picture of mine, I seek a shot from this perspective. The upholsterer failed to realize that the seam is finished tight and even with the crease not left flopping with glue exposed. I don't remember how the glove compartment is finished but this seems off the mark.

dash 101.jpg

I tried to cover my dash, myself, but after 5 or 6 failed attempts I had a professional do it. It was costing me to much just buying dash covers. I cannot guarantee this is correct, either; but it was someone who had done them before. At least this photo is from a perspective at or below what you've requested. Taking the photo at this angle reveals I have some work to do. My '55 is a 30+ year restoration, and I drive the car, so excuse the dirt and nicks.
IgnoreIMG_4120.jpg

Thank you! TeeZee very gracious of you. Did the seam going up and over the dash cover/line up with the weld indentation. They used heat and stretched mine past the weld. I spoke with Larry's which mfgs all of the interior vinyl, They say it's a tough job but the covers are die cut to line up with the welds and the underside crease.

Would love to see RedToy's seam line over the top and the finish seam line on the underside and glove compartment.

THANKS!!! Brent

I have attached Ford's Trim and Sealer info.

Trim and sealer pg 5.jpg

So took a few more pictures this morning and I think this is what you're looking for. I did my restoration 20 years ago and after taking these pictures, I seem to remember I had a terrible time doing this part of the project and if I'm not mistaken, I had to undo the seam a bit because nothing fit properly. Anyway here are the pictures, if you need more let me know.
Regards
20191215_103202[1].jpg20191215_103303[1].jpg20191215_103334[1].jpg20191215_103551[1].jpg20191215_124659[1].jpg

20191215_124659[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the input!

Will try again this week. I'll post images and insights.

Here's a couple more first attempt shots. Excessive heat was used which distorted the grain and the seams stretched past the welds underneath:

7.jpg11.jpg

The dash is covered and looks real good. Insights: The upholsterer learned: The seams are placed to line up over the welds underneath the cover, heat makes the cover stretch like putty, low to no heat was used this go-round, the cover was aligned for the seams to work, the glove compartment was cut and glued up (I'll trim a little in this area still.)

Thanks for your help!!!20191221_091743.jpg20191221_091919.jpg20191221_091958.jpg

Back