1955 Clip free wire wheel covers

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've had it with the clips for the rims and saw they sell clipless rims that look identical. Does anyone have experience with these? Any concerns or issues of them falling off? Alternatively I'm looking at the Coker Tire wire wheels (KH replicas). I know a lot of people have these, any issues with the fender skirts and these rims?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Adam

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have Wire Rims KH style on my 55. I only experienced issues when I went from Bias Ply tires to Radials with the handle I resolved this my keeping inflated 40gb and by drilling a small hole in bottom of skirt and zip tying the fender skirt handle in place. I had gone to extrem measure presented by another member of shortening the length of the handle release and this didn’t work I lost a skirt on the highway soon after going they all the steps to shorten the handle. The zip tie has sold all my issues

Here is image of Rims
D0424174-4C79-4679-B44C-0B0C1AE1396E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had it with the clips for the rims and saw they sell clipless rims that look identical. Does anyone have experience with these? Any concerns or issues of them falling off? Alternatively I'm looking at the Coker Tire wire wheels (KH replicas). I know a lot of people have these, any issues with the fender skirts and these rims?

Adam
I got a set of mags and the car looks HOT! I went for safety rather than originality I have had the car since 1972 and it just turned 36K MI. I leave the skirts off. Here are the details, I got them landed in, mounted, balanced, with lug nuts from WheelsforLess.com.
Wheels are American Racing Torqer II 286 VN5155665 - 15" x 6"/5Bolt x 4½/ 3¼" Rear Space - Tires Cooper Cobra, 205/75/R15. I have disk brakes installed and I suggest if you do that too, to get a Wilwood set up from the firewall to the calipers and disks. These wheels/tires fit just fine except when doing a sharp turn while entering a steep driveway. The front tires can scrape the fender well. Similarly, when hitting a mogul and bottoming out the rear end, the rears' will kiss the wells. Save the old rims, they are worth $$. I also put an anti-sway bar in the rear and it negotiates corners flat as glass until the tires cry from drift.
Greg from WI (soon to be from FL. Winter here sux)

Adam
They look the same but are not identical.. I believe it's different around the rim - it shows the rim (the originals do not) and the air valve shows (originals do not.)

Back