1955 carb gasket leaking

mattstbird

mattstbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have been trying to stop a vacuum leak at the baseplate of the carb. when i pulled it off originally to have it rebuilt it had 5 gaskets stacked. is this normal?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not normal but some people do stack the gaskets to help prevent vapor lock. They sell a thicker gasket or a plastic base plate that isolates the heat from the intake manifold to the carburetor. Just make sure that the air cleaner still clears the hood!
P.s. use new gaskets and if you stack them don’t over tighten the bolts as you can warp the carburetor base. Been there, done that on another car? With the old stacked gaskets you might want to set the carb base on a flat surface to insure it’s perfectly flat.

Last edited:
Yes several gaskets were used as an insulator. In '57 they no longer used the teapot style carb which was taller than the carb used in '57 so there was enough room to use the phenolic insulating spacer.

I have been trying to stop a vacuum leak at the baseplate of the carb. when i pulled it off originally to have it rebuilt it had 5 gaskets stacked. is this normal?
Yes, this is normal. In 1955 a stack of five thick gaskets were used.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Base Gaskets 1.jpg
Base Gaskets 2.jpg
Base Gaskets 3.jpg

People do stack the gaskets to help prevent vapor lock. They sell a thicker gasket or a plastic base plate that isolates the heat from the intake manifold to the carburetor. Just make sure that the air cleaner still clears the hood!
P.s. use new gaskets and if you stack them don’t over tighten the bolts as you can warp the carburetor base. Been there, done that on another car? With the old stacked gaskets you might want to set the carb base on a flat surface to insure it’s perfectly flat.
Interesting, Mine only had one.

Most likely whomever removed or rebuilt the carb didn't understand why there were so many gaskets and just used one as that was most common. Probably thinking 'Why did they do that, Never have seen that before?' .
I'm sure that's correct.

I actually removed the carb, so the rebuilder never seen the stack of gaskets. you are right though i was perplexed by the stack.

Back