1955 blower motor fuse replacement

ion

ion

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, this may seem to be a trivial problem but it has me stuck. I’m trying to replace the inline fuse for the blower motor. The fuse is under the dash a little above and to the left of the ash tray. While I can get one hand on it easily, I can’t seem to maneuver myself to get both hands on it so that I can open the holder. It seems silly to have to take the whole dash apart just to replace a fuse. What do you all do? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Perhaps there are a few tie raps you could cut to allow you to pull the fuse holder down a bit.

This is probably one of those times when you have to lay on the floor and look up. It's getting to be more of a pain as I get older.

I am facing the same issue, but I have the seat out, and it is much easier to get to that way. It takes a shorter fuse than I had in my supply, so ordered from Hills.
Ralph

@74 Harley I'm already laying on the floor looking up, and yes it is getting harder as I get older too. @CSPIDY good idea I will check, if there were one that would make it really easy but I suspect not. @rponfick I thought about removing the seat too, haven't done that before I'll have to check how much of a pain that is. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am facing the same issue, but I have the seat out, and it is much easier to get to that way. It takes a shorter fuse than I had in my supply, so ordered from Hills.
Ralph
The shorter fuse is a SFE size. If your Thunderbird is 6 volt it will require a SFE 20 amp fuse, and if it is 12 volt it will require a SFE 14 amp fuse.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

@74 Harley I'm already laying on the floor looking up, and yes it is getting harder as I get older too. @CSPIDY good idea I will check, if there were one that would make it really easy but I suspect not. @rponfick I thought about removing the seat too, haven't done that before I'll have to check how much of a pain that is. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I had my seat out already for carpet replacement and other re-wiring issues, so it was not removed just to get to the fuses. Seat removal is just four bolts under the car, but you need two people to get it out. Sorry if I was not clear enough.

Question
Would it help to take the ashtray out?

Hi, this may seem to be a trivial problem but it has me stuck. I’m trying to replace the inline fuse for the blower motor. The fuse is under the dash a little above and to the left of the ash tray. While I can get one hand on it easily, I can’t seem to maneuver myself to get both hands on it so that I can open the holder. It seems silly to have to take the whole dash apart just to replace a fuse. What do you all do? Thanks.
Pull the radio

Well, I finally got the fuse out and replaced. The fuse holder is spring loaded. To open it you push the two halves together and then rotate. Since I had already cut the blower motor wire to splice into power for a bluetooth receiver (hidden under the dash) I was able to disconnect this, which left a free end of wire hanging down enough that I could reach the fuse holder. For anyone with the same problem but without a cut wire, I guess it would have worked to disconnect the blower wire from the blower motor switch instead.

Back