1955 Are these both the rear drop cloth?

photoguy

photoguy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I wish to replace my rear deck garnish (metal trim) and vinyl, is the top deck vinyl and drop cloth one and the same? I attached a pic.

Thank you!

IMG_3757.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, But confuse the Tonneau cover which fit over the entire cockpit and dash. I have both on my 56.Tannou Cover 57.jpgBack curtain.JPGTannou Cover B.jpg

Hello!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I wish to replace my rear deck garnish (metal trim) and vinyl, is the top deck vinyl and drop cloth one and the same? I attached a pic.

Thank you!

View attachment 31318
My recollection is that that the answer to your question is "no". If my memory is right, the order of assembly is that the edge of the drop cloth has to be cut to fit the contour of the shelf since it curves at the ends. Then the edge of the drop cloth is cemented down to the metal shelf. The shelf is "formed" to have room for the parts being put onto it along the edge. Then there is a metal piece, maybe 2 or 3 inches wide (front to back of the car) that is shaped to fit the formed shelf shape. That metal piece is wrapped with a piece of material (the same stuff the drop cloth is made from) so it looks nice on the top side, which I think is what your right arrow is pointing to. You have to cement that piece of material to the metal. You wrap it around and get the seam on the bottom where it doesn't show. Then that bolts down over the drop cloth you just cemented in place. Lastly there is the chrome trim piece which goes on top of those to finish it off. Doing it this way makes it so the drop cloth is held in place mostly by the bolted down metal piece rather than just relying on cement. That's my recollection, it's been three years so I might be recalling it wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it does together.

I found a couple photos.

Attachments

• drop curtain and retainer installation tbird 1957 anno.jpg
    drop curtain and retainer installation tbird 1957 anno.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 19
Back