1955 adding power brake booster

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My '55 came with one and I drove it for a while, until it failed and emptied all the brake fluid out of the master cylinder. :eek:

I bypassed the booster, took it off the inner fender, refilled the master cyl and kept driving the car.
Eventually it will get sent off to Whitepost Restoration then be reinstalled.
Not sure how much the power booster helped before, it may have been failing all along.
In spite of that experience the brakes were still working as I expected them to, but now the car has more pressing needs to get back on the road. (broken fuel pump lever)

Last edited:
I installed the original style. I purchased the kit it from Prestige. $995
Came with everything you needed and it bolted right on.
Wife drives it allot and made a big difference.
IMG_4972.jpgIMG_4973.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're talking about a remote booster like original I found an aftermarket on Amazon. $180. bux Personally I've been thinking about putting the battery in the trunk and mounting a regular dual system master/booster at an angle where the battery was.
Rick: Did you do this retrofit in your car? I think the booster installation is easy, but not sure how easy is to move the battery to the trunk.

I built a barn find 55 and thought I needed a booster on my disc brakes. Before I did that I switched my pads to organic instead of ceramic . It worked! Car stop great with manual pedal.
Hi Roadkill, can you help me out with a organic brake pads you mentioned. I have tried to look everywhere and can't locate them anyplace? I have a 55 Bird Thanks

If you need a core or good at DYI projects then here's a link to a core. I bought a core off ebay 4 years ago rebuilt the unit and it's been working fine ever since. Mine came off a Dodge van I think, same Midland unit.

Back