1955-56 and 57 seat back removal

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Y-8

Y-8

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
How is the seatback removed from the seat bottom?

The seat is awkward and heavy. It would be easier to install the bench and attach the motors if the backrest could be installed separately. I didn't want to risk damaging the backrest by prying on it. I've also read that you have to be careful with the backrest wings. A 1000 thanks to anyone who can provide photos/detailed instructions for separating the bench and backrest.

Automatic seat.

Attachments

• Bank1.jpg
    Bank1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • Bank2.jpg
    Bank2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • Bank3.jpg
    Bank3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Thanks for the photos, but you didn't address removing the backrest. I don't want to pry where it's hinged and bend/break it.

The back of the seat is held on by two pegs (one on each side located on the bottom. To remove the back, the seat back must be stretched out to clear one side. I have done this this way. get a belt (the kind that holds your pants up). Snake it around the dogleg at the bottom of the seat back and pull so it clears the peg. Might be better to have a helper - one person to pull, the other to move the seat back away from the peg. Reinstall the same way, but the helper has to line up the hole with the peg

Note - now that I have written this, not sure which part has the peg, but instructions remain the same.

The back of the seat is held on by two pegs (one on each side located on the bottom. To remove the back, the seat back must be stretched out to clear one side. I have done this this way. get a belt (the kind that holds your pants up). Snake it around the dogleg at the bottom of the seat back and pull so it clears the peg. Might be better to have a helper - one person to pull, the other to move the seat back away from the peg. Reinstall the same way, but the helper has to line up the hole with the peg

Note - now that I have written this, not sure which part has the peg, but instructions remain the same.
could this be done by a c-clamp?

could this be done by a c-clamp?
Nope, the pin on the dogleg of the seatback has to be pulled out / away from the side of the covered seat cushion frame, after removing the 'hairpin' clip.
You can use a flat/thin & wide pry-bar in between the seat & dogleg, with some thin hard plastic on both sides to protect the upholstery.
Or grab the dogleg as low as you can and pull hard, that's where the belt comes in handy.

Attachments

• seatback pivot pin.jpg
    seatback pivot pin.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
  • seat back stop c.jpg
    seat back stop c.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
How is the seatback removed from the seat bottom?
It can be done with the seat in the car. the two dogleg swivels, one each side, are just a pressure fit. No fasteners. The doglegs can be pried away from the seat bottom one side at a time and the the back can be lifted out. Highly recommend two people.

Attachments

• B27226B3-A9C8-4B48-A281-4CE5F858EB1A.jpeg
    B27226B3-A9C8-4B48-A281-4CE5F858EB1A.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 7
Back