1955 292cid oil capacity

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Why would it take 7qt to reach full when book calls for 6qt w/filter? Level ground, stick all the way in and tube flush on block.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On many early Thunderbirds the dipstick does not correctly measure the level of oil present in your car’s engine. An estimated 75-80% of Thunderbirds still in existence have improperly gauged dipsticks. The problem has been aggravated by poor replacement parts and switched dipsticks from other engines over the course of time. Most of these incorrect dipsticks read “low”, when your car actually has the correct amount of oil present in your engine.

For those of you with original canister oil filters, you will need a total of six quarts of oil when you change your oil and filter. If your engine has a spin on oil filter, it will require only 5 ½ quarts of oil when you change your oil and filter.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ouch i guess I better drain some out!

Why would it take 7qt to reach full when book calls for 6qt w/filter? Level ground, stick all the way in and tube flush on block.
Are you sure the dipstick is correct? Also does it have a spin off filter, that is not original and may add capacity

Riddle me this Batman! Check this out, I put 7qts in with a new spin-on filter (because it was still 1qt low at 6qts. Ran the engine and checked the level, it was full. After thinking that was at least 1qt high I decided to drain it (also because the new oil plug gasket was leaking) and I only got out 5qts! OK, the filter must have 1/2qt so where did 1.5qts go? Maybe it blew it out so I checked the crankcase vent tube, no drips on the garage floor. I'm totally confused! I put the 5qts back in and it reads 1/4qt less than full. So like Doug mentioned it should take 5 1/2qts with a new spin-on filter. The book says 6qts with a filter but this might be with a canister type filter??? The last oil change it took 6qts with a new filter... corn-fused!

Dipstick all the way in. Tube snug in the block. Original dipstick. Original oil pan. Standard PH8 type filter.

All I can tell you is that I have a 1955 Thunderbird with a 292 engine and a non-original spin off oil filter. When I change the oil and filter I put in 5 ½ quarts of oil. After starting the engine to allow the oil to fill the oil filter, I check the oil after the engine has been off for a few minutes and the oil level is on the full mark of the dip stick. Do you know someone who has a 1955 Thunderbird with a 292 engine like yours that you can compare the dipsticks?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

No but next year when we don't have to cancel all our car shows i might find one. I have a feeling it blew the excess out the vent tube, where else could it go? Funny now with 5 3/4 qt it reeds full! Another mystery from the dawn of time!

Back