1955 292 Spark Plugs

Selfrich

Selfrich

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1955 with the 292. What are the current spark plugs you are using?

My plugs are the RFI4YC and they are really carboned up from my carbonator needing rebuilt. I have rebuilt it and am doing the plugs now.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Autolite 46 was what was in mine. They looked good when I checked them but I replaced them anyway with new Autolite 46. If you have petronix ignition gap the plugs a little wider than the factory spec. I'm sure there are other acceptable plugs but I prefer something in the 'ford family' of products.

A couple of things to consider:
1. Were the plugs fouled before the carburetor was rebuilt?
2. Have you checked for proper timing?
3. Have you properly adjusted the carburetor for maximum vacuum?
4. The RF14YC plugs you’re running are actually a hotter plug than the RF11YC, if I’m not mistaken. A colder plug should foul easier at normal timing. We used to run colder plugs for racing so we could advance the timing.
5. What fuel are you using? Premium fuel burns slower than regular fuel and is not necessary for a stock 292 engine. This can cause carbon buildup.
6. Do you see any oil on the plugs?
7. Is your coil putting out enough spark for complete combustion?
8. What are your compression readings?
9. Do you see black exhaust smoke? Is your tailpipe black or gray? Any black soot buildup?

A couple of things to consider:
1. Were the plugs fouled before the carburetor was rebuilt?
2. Have you checked for proper timing?
3. Have you properly adjusted the carburetor for maximum vacuum?
4. The RF14YC plugs you’re running are actually a hotter plug than the RF11YC, if I’m not mistaken. A colder plug should foul easier at normal timing. We used to run colder plugs for racing so we could advance the timing.
5. What fuel are you using? Premium fuel burns slower than regular fuel and is not necessary for a stock 292 engine. This can cause carbon buildup.
6. Do you see any oil on the plugs?
7. Is your coil putting out enough spark for complete combustion?
8. What are your compression readings?
9. Do you see black exhaust smoke? Is your tailpipe black or gray? Any black soot buildup?
I didn't look at the plugs before I rebuilt the carb. It just started leaking gas so to be safe I rebuilt it.
The timing is good and I do run premium gas (93).
The coil is good also.
Only black flakes coming out of the exhaust. Not burning oil.
I have adjusted the carb for vacuum,

Looks like I will get the Autolite 46.

With a stock 292 engine with a compression ratio of about 8.0:1-8.5:1 there is no need to run premium gas, since it burns slower it can contribute to carbon buildup. It won’t make it run any better, stronger or faster.

Spark plug inspection can tell many tales.

Back