1955 292 Average Mileage Per Gallon

Y
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm a new owner of a 1955-292-non- modified automatic . Gas gauge is currently not functioning. What can I expect as average mileage?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I haven't checked mine in years as I haven't driven it enough to re-fill the tank for months at a time and try to calculate and keep track of the mileage. I recently did a full tune up and haven't checked but if I remember it was between 7-10 MPG.

I'm a new owner of a 1955-292-non- modified automatic . Gas gauge is currently not functioning. What can I expect as average mileage?
Not an easy one to answer but with mine I get between 9 to 12 mpg depending on where and how I drive it. I always keep it well tuned and don't drive it hard. Let's just say they're not very fuel efficient. This link may help https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/thunderbird/1956

Does the temp gage work? If so then I'd first look at the sending unit. Is it constantly on empty? There should be an access panel in the muddle of the trunk floor. There is a keeper ring that you can tap open with a screwdriver and light hammer. The sending unit can then be removed. It's not unusual for the float to spring a leak and sink. There are other links about how to test.

"1955-292" for a subject does not summarize your post. Please put more effort into future posts and follow the posting directions.

Summarize-Post.jpg

My 1955 Thunderbird is equipped with a Ford-O-Matic transmission and I drive it 1,000 to 1,500 miles per season. I only use 90 octane, 100% gasoline in my car. Every spring I clean or replace the spark plugs, check the condition of the points, set the carburetor mixture, dwell and timing. I don't drive like an old geezer, but I don't drive it hard either. I rarely drive on the highway, but the speed limit on some of the back roads I drive is 50 mph.

I have been tracking my mileage for the last 4 years. In 2017 I got 13.17 mpg, 2018 I got 13.30 mpg, 2019 I got 13.70 mpg and last year I got 13.47 mpg.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The sender is not as described above on a 55. It is held in by screws. Gas gauges are problems in early Fords because of the type they are. CASCO for one sells a sender/gauge combo that seems to fix the incompatibility problem with the aftermarket senders. Gauge looks like stock.

Does the gauge work at all? Try grounding the wire at the sender (remove and ground it) with the ignition on. If the gauge moves then its a sender problem. If the gauge does not move, its probably the gauge.

Any other gauges that don't work? It may be something else if this is the situation

I have a 312 and a 3 speed with OD. I have gotten 20 mpg on a trip - expressway driving between 60 and 70 mph, mostly in OD.

The sender is not as described above on a 55. It is held in by screws. Gas gauges are problems in early Fords because of the type they are. CASCO for one sells a sender/gauge combo that seems to fix the incompatibility problem with the aftermarket senders. Gauge looks like stock.

Does the gauge work at all? Try grounding the wire at the sender (remove and ground it) with the ignition on. If the gauge moves then its a sender problem. If the gauge does not move, its probably the gauge.

Any other gauges that don't work? It may be something else if this is the situation
From the fuel gauge there is a yellow wire that runs to the fuel tank sending unit. With the key on ground the yellow wire momentarily and if the sending unit in the tank is defective the fuel gauge should move towards full. (Note: do not ground the wire at the sending unit for more than 10 seconds or damage to the gauge could result)

The fuel and temperature gauges can be calibrated. Attached is an article that I wrote on adjusting the fuel and temperature gauges on a 1955/1956 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Temperature_Fuel_gauge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back