1955 -1957 firewall cover installation

Y-8

Y-8

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am hoping that someone will post a picture of the accelerator pedal rod as it penetrates the firewall cover. It's weird to me that all necessary penetrations are cutouts on the cover, but not the pedal rod.

At gas pedal 1.jpgAt gas pedal.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I cut a hole first, and, as usual, missed the proper spot. Then, I just cut a slot all the way through the rubber edging and up to the hole in the firewall.
Not as elegant as possible, but not visible behind the pedal.
Ralph

If the "Dash Insulator"/firewall cover is already installed, can't you find the hole in the firewall from the opposite side and just punch a hole through it?

Untitled.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I am hoping to see how looks from the factory. I can, hopefully, locate a hole in the cover the same size as the firewall. still seems odd that the pedal rod is the only protrusion missing on the cover. Doug, how did you manage this task on your concourse ground up restoration for the museum? Do you have a picture of this detail?

I wish that I could say that we are at the point where I could show you the firewall pad, but the body panels are still being replaced. Remember, COVID put us behind by over a year. This is how the T-Bird looked three years ago.

Interior With The Carpet Removed.JPG

After we removed the body from the frame my job was the chassis while other volunteers were in charge of the body restoration.

1.JPG

I finished rebuilding the engine, the transmission, the frame had to be replaced and the replacement frame had to be repaired. All of the steering, suspension, brakes, exhaust, fuel lines and brake lines have been replaced. The engine has been tested and checked for leaks.

The body has been sand blasted and currently we are working on replacing the body panels.

2.jpg

3.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Blacktie,

If it were up to me that's what I would have done. Since the car was donated to the museum over 25 years ago and it was just sitting in rack storage, the Collection Manager decided that we would do a total restoration on it. We have over 40 volunteers that bring many different talents and abilities to the Restoration/Preservation Center. The center is equipped with a complete machine shop, wood shop, parts department and paint shop. Besides, what else do 40 retired volunteers have better to do.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you and the other volunteers are enjoying the restoration, and that your effort will be appreciated.

What is the name and location of the museum?

Thank you

The Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum of the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, Ohio.

Since this is a Thunderbird forum, here are some pictures of the 1960 stainless steel body Thunderbird that we worked on in 2019 for a show in Detroit, Michigan. Only two stainless steel body Thunderbirds were ever made and our museum has one of them, along with a stainless steel Lincoln Continental.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

I am still hoping that someone will post a picture of the pedal rod penetrating the interior firewall cover.

I have the cover mounted on 1/4"-20 screws which fit the original holes in the firewall perfectly. The hole for the pedal rod will have to cut through the stiches that attach the rubber skirting. I can't imagine that's how it was done at the factory.

20220214_175431.jpg

Why did you choose screws instead of the original-style fasteners? No doubt they're easier to work with, especially if you have to install/remove more than once. If that's the speedometer cable or overdrive cable I see that's routed underneath the cover, a photo in the Specifications and Details Manual shows the cable(s) being routed over the cover, not under it.

Blacktie, do you have a '55? If so, please take a picture of the area we are talking about. The speedo cable penetrates the firewall at a spot underneath the cover. When finished I will fasten with black colored nuts with washers, will look close to original, the other side is a hex and looks like the original pins protruding through the firewall. This makes it easier to install temporarily for marking the hole that I still am struggling with. Let's have a look at how your bird is finished.

Y-8, if you look at Doug's Post #6, you can clearly see the cable sticking out of the transmission tunnel.

I own a 1955 Thunderbird, manufactured 01-20-1955, equipped with the original air-cooled Fordomatic transmission. Although the hole for my speedometer cable is more centered on the tunnel and farther back, the hole is there, and it is aft of the firewall and firewall cover. The hole definitely is not underneath the firewall cover.

This post is regarding my request for a picture of the pedal rod protruding through through firewall cover. How about it blacktie?

Here is the post, #3 as you say: "If the "Dash Insulator"/firewall cover is already installed, can't you find the hole in the firewall from the opposite side and just punch a hole through it?"

Post #3 is off topic and is no help. I'm not asking how to create a hole in the cover, I am asking for a picture out of curiosity. As always, I will give any insights that may help another when I finish this topic. I can tell you that the cardboard is not that easy to cut. Doable though.

How about a picture?

Since my Thunderbird is asleep for the winter and I didn't want to wake her, I contacted my friend in Florida and he sent me this picture.

I hope this will help you.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Firewall Cover From Frank's Car.jpg

Cool! Thanks Doug.

The cardboard is not impacted by the pedal rod, definitely different than the cover I'm working with. I will post my conclusions, this weekend, assuming she doesn't alter my plans...

Back