1977 Intermittent Stalling

Idkasp
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a '77 with a 6.6 L 400. It stalls with no consistency. Sometimes while engine is cold, sometimes while warmed up. At idle and driving. Sometimes it will fire up again right away and sometimes it takes hours. Other times it will purr for hours smoothly. While it won't start, I've checked spark to all cylinders and the coil. Its got spark and I can see fuel being injected in the carburetor. Should I check fuel pressure? What about vacuum? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a '77 with a 6.6 L 400. It stalls with no consistency. Sometimes while engine is cold, sometimes while warmed up. At idle and driving. Sometimes it will fire up again right away and sometimes it takes hours. Other times it will purr for hours smoothly. While it won't start, I've checked spark to all cylinders and the coil. Its got spark and I can see fuel being injected in the carburetor. Should I check fuel pressure? What about vacuum? Thanks in advance!

Might be something electrical cutting out in your distributor. look on ebay or rockauto.com for another distributor with everything in it and change the distributor. if you start buying all the pieces one by one & replacing them one at a time to fix the problem. You'll drive yourself nuts. Replace the whole distributor

Thanks there killer. I recently cleaned the contact points, for what that's worth. I thought it may be a ballist resistor, which appears to be a wire. Maybe fusable link? I'll probably take your advice, but I may have to take it to a mechanic if all else fails.

It was the Ignition Control Module aka Brainbox. Its been a couple weeks and it hasn't had a hiccup yet.
AWESOME

Back