biddle

1981 Shay 1955 Ford Thunderbird Fiberglass Replica

The Shay Motors Corporation was founded in 1978 began production of Thunderbird replicas in late 1980, with approximately 200 units produced before the company declared bankruptcy in 1982. These are not kit cars, but fiberglass bodywork and a removable white hardtop with porthole-style windows. This one is for sale on BAT- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-ford-thunderbird-2/
S
When these cars were new a local Ford dealer was one of the dealers selling them. I stopped it to look at one they had on display for curiosity sake. It was clearly not an identical version of the real thing. Too many aftermarket parts, disproportional body components, etc. It was very well equipped with the 302 V8, At, AC, hardtop, etc. The selling price was about $22K in 1980 or '81. A sales person tried to convince me what a bargain it was to get a "brand new" classic TBird at this price especially with all of the safety and convenience features the original lacked. I told him I would pass. I knew the original would only increase in value where who knew what would happen with these. Lots of folks must have agreed with me.

biddle
I knew the original would only increase in value where who knew what would happen with these. Lots of folks must have agreed with me.
Actually, if you paid 2,444 in 1955 for a brand new Ford Thunderbird, 26,655.65 is the break-even point when adjusted for inflation in 2022, so it's really hard to make an argument they've gone up in value. The only reason they don't cost 2,444 anymore is because of inflation. 'I see them sell for well under 25k on a regular basis. The moral of the story? Most mass-produced cars are not an investment. It's a hobby.

Album information

Album owner
biddle
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

biddle

Can view media items