Wheel Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone know where to find the specifications for the TBird wheels, such things as offset, hub size etc. I have been looking for aftermarket wheels and have not really found any that I truly like. Right now there are not a lot of listings. I was hoping if I got the specs for the wheels I might be able to find something that fits.

Known: 17" x 7.5", 5 Bolt, 108mm bolt circle, 63.4mm hub (this is needed for hubcentric wheels, gathered from an aftermarket vendor), high offset (+48mm gathered from an aftermarket vendor).

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I ordered HRE # 540 wheels from Discount Tire in 18"..and custome center caps with the TBird Logo..the wheels are on and they look teriffic.
You could always stop by a tire store for them to measure..

Joe-

Ford used the same system for the 89-97 Thunderbird-and the bolt circle converts to the following english measurement: 4.2519.

Basically a 4.25 on 5, which you can find plenty of in the high-offset configuration.

------------------

Leonk,

Can you post a pic on the Yahoo site?

T02 Bird,

That they are but I still need the numbers to expand my search, I'm finding the same wheels wether I search TBird or Lincoln.

Birdman93,

Still need to verify the hub, Acura wheels will not fit eventhough they may have the same bolt pattern.

-

jodrod,
I know your pain. I wanted to try a bunch of wheels at a local performance shop on for size a couple weeks ago, and the offset and the large brake calipers would not allow the same size bolt patterns for a tryout.

I did shop for wheels over the net with some help from Birdman-Tony, and eventually found out Halibrand, the company that made the wheels for th 02 custom show car, went bankrupt. Then I found out that BoydCoddington would make the wheels to our specs.
I expect to have a set of BC Smoothie2's on my NM by February 02.
If you want a peak go to http://www.boydcoddington.com/wheels/Cast/smoothie2.html
They have pictures of the Smoothie2 on a black Vette and they are great.
Priced at $225 @ in cast aluminum, polished finish. Other wheel makers will be offering some cool stuff in late 2002.
By the way, call BC's 800 # and ask to speak with BOB he has the measurements for the wheels and may be able to give you the information you want.
I found pictures of the HRE 540's on a '99 Vette here http://64.82.46.50/page2b.shtml
------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

-

-

I was told on this past weekend when I pickup my car cover and floor mats that to wait on the wheel selections. Ford racing will be coming out with something very soon for our cars. If whats in the current issue of Ford racing magazine for mustangs and other cars were in for a treat. Ford currently list only 3 styles to choose from in there computers.

The HRE 540's look very much like BBS wheels. That's alot of bucks if they really are $900+ a wheel. I'll wait a while. Actually, I've started to like the premium wheels alot. THey really toss the light around when the sun shines on them.

FDCAPTAIN,

Demand must have gone up on the Smoothie II, 17x7's are now $462 ea. per Coddington's website.

DavidA,

The HRE's are three piece and the price came from their website and those are some of the cheaper ones.

jodrod

What happened? I called in November and they were $225 and thru Discount Tire I got them for $200 on 12/06/01.

I guess the costs of Aluminum and other factors have changed the one-piece wheel industry.

BTW, the hardtop hoist will be costing more because of startup costs that were not seen by EZTop. And the price of the 03 Bird?

In the case of the wheels, I feel Ford has the challenge and they will come through for those that can wait till Spring or Summer.

edit: jodrod, I called BC and spoke with Chris. There is a page with incorrect pricing on the Web. The one thing for sure is that they just finished a set of 18" Smoothie2 on a Lincoln LS and if they fit it in 18" it should fit our cars in 17". Also if more offset is needed to clear large calipers they would need to make the Smothie in Billet and that would take the $225-250 wheel I am waiting for to $1000 each price range.

I will call Discount Tire tomorrow for update on status of order and correct pricing.
------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

-

I feel sorry for you guys trying to find wheels for your cars. I just found another set of the stock directional rims that were used for the 93 Thunderbird-Now I have two sets-one of which will be going to a local shop to be smoothed and chromed-at $75 per wheel. This means that for judging I will have a stock set of rims and at all other times I will run the chrome rims.

Good luck in finding something!

------------------

FDCAPTAIN,

Well I did it. Called Coddington, spoke with Bob and ordered a set of Bitchin Blasters (17"x7" billit). They will be made to order and I should have them in about 5 - 6 weeks. Price was $345.10/wheel.

He quoted me $265 for the Smoothie-2, not the $462 listed on the website.

Now I have another manage the wait to go through.
smile.gif

jodrod,

Your pain has ended.
Mine is only a pain in the fingers when I wash the beautiful NM wheels. Yes they are FORD's best wheel look and I love them. I love them so much I will put them on for every show and shine. NM wheel will be on "Thunder on 66", but for everyday driving, the Smoothie2 ate 225-250 each with the Firestone Firehawk LH in 245/50VR17" will satisfy my routine driving.
jodrod has a Bitchin Wheel going on for a look go to http://www.boydcoddington.com/wheels/Bitchin/blaster.html

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

Hmmmm-now I may have to change what I want to do-I like the Bitchin Timeless S Wheels-they would look great in a 15X7 or 16X7 fitment with a Goodyear 245/55Z15-or what ever they have that approximates that size.

------------------

Tony,

Came real close to getting the Timeless 5 or the Smoothie-2. The reason we chose the Blaster is that it is a more open wheel design, you can see more of the hardware behind it. I have seen a couple of black Porches and Vettes with similar types of wheels with the brake hardware painted high gloss red and it looks sharp on the black car. I'm planning to do the same, if I don't like the red then I will paint the hardware high gloss black. The red helps breakup the all black, throws a little color into the mix without being garish and overly noticable.

But the real purpose of the aftermarket wheels is to preserve the originals. 15 - 20 years down the road it is going to be hard to find the stock wheel in new condition. I did not want to get to many miles on them.

I have also read that over time you will have problems with the chrome. The temperature coefficient of expansion (TCE) is different between the chrome and the metal it is plated to. With time this will cause the chrome to form stress cracks and eventually lead to peeling and possible tire pressure loss due to the cracks running up under the bead. This is the reason I chose a high polish aluminum wheel. Never having had a chrome wheel I do not know this from personal experience but I have noticed that most chorme wheel manufactures have a limited warranty on the chrome plating, generally two to three years.

-

So would I be better off to have the shop that is refinishing my stock wheels smooth out and polish them, rather than chrome-plating them?

The reason I say smooth them out is that the surface of the directional fins are rough cast, then filled with primer and painted. I have a feeling that those 21-spoke wheels which have the Argent finish are treated the same way. Only time will tell. I just know that with the crap they put on the roads in the wintertime here, painted finishes do not last long at all.

Jodrod-

I just came across a site that says the backspacing for the 89-97 wheel is 5.57 inches-I'm wondering if the new birds use the same, since they are using the same bolt circle, 4.25 on 5. I had one of the guys check the bolt circle on the Thunderbird they have-a 2002 red premium-and they came back and said that it is a 4.25 on 5 for that new wheel on yours.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back