Wheel Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understand what you mean by backspacing, that would work out to 49mm and I understand that the Bird wheel is around +48 to +50 mm.

7.5" - 5.57" = 1.93" * 25.4 mm/in = 49mm

Then the big consideration is will the brake caliper clear. The new Bird has a real big caliper, that is one of the things I found out through Coddington.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jodrod-

I think what you mean is Offset-the distance between the mounting flange and the true center of the wheel.

Back spacing is the distance between the mounting flange and rear of the wheel.

So-your offset would be 1.93 inches or 49mm.

Backspacing would be the mentioned 5.57 inches or 141.48mm.

------------------

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

Zero Offset - The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive - The hub mounting surface is toward the front(street) side of the wheels centerline.

Negative - The hub mounting surface is toward the back(brake) side of the wheels centerline.

So the Bird is a positive offset wheel of approx. 48 to 50 mm.

I think we are on the same page. Looks as if the '89 - '97 Bird wheels may fit but we still need to check for caliper clearance and hub diameter.

I must also recant what I said about the TCE causing stress cracks. I talked to someone in the chrome plating industry and he told me that is a popular misconception. Chrome is used to plate many things that are used in areas that see large temperature differentials (jet engines, piston rings etc). He did say that cracking in the chrome can lead to tire pressure loss as mentioned but this is due to a poor plating process. Sorry about the misinformation.

Jodrod-

I'm, in the process of renewing the links that I have accumulated for Thunderbird suppliers-I will be adding them to both the following sites:
http://clubs.*********/clubs/vintagethunderbirdclubintl
http://groups.*********/group/thunderon66/

I never did hear anything back from our moderator-so those two places are where you'll find my list of links. There are a number of links to tire manufacturers as well as wheel makers-and I founf a item that could be of great value-check out their website at:
www.smartire.cim

------------------

-

The wait is over. Just got a call from my wife saying UPS delivered my Boyd Coddington "Bitchin Blaster" wheels. I think I will take a vacation day tomorrow to have them mounted. As soon as I can I will post some pics on thenewtbirddata site.

Pretty quick turn, I was not expecting them until mid February.

Well, the wheels are on and it sure makes the car look a lot different. I will post picture next week when I access to a digital camera.
I was able to attain the look I was hoping for. The wheels are quite open and do show off the brake hardware nicely. Next step is to get the calipers painted gloss red. The shop that mounted the wheels will do the brakes for $50 in high temp red and then high temp clear coat.

I was somewhat concerned about who to have mount the wheels. The wheels did not come with lug nuts and in the process of looking for them I came across this shop. When I stopped by to get the lugs I noticed the brands of wheels that they carried and thought these guys must know what they are doing, so I decided to let them do the work. While I was there, a Bentley Turbo R pulled up out front and I came to find that they had been doing a lot of modifying on it (including the wheels). This definately boosted my confidence in them.

On a different note, they also do window tint (remember that topic?), so I inquired about that. Apparently some BMW's also have the auto drop windows and he has tinted them. He looked at the car and deterimed how to keep the windows from dropping while he applies the film (a switch on the door catch). He said that after application he puts a heat lamp on the windows for about two hours and this is enough to cure the film and that the auto drop will not effect it. The windows still have to remain up for another 72 hours as he only heats the tops and bottoms of the window where the rubbing occurs.

Redbird-

This is what the Thunderbird is all about! For years people have been buying birds, and adding those little touches that say "This is MY Thunderbird!" I think wire wheels would look great! I'm ordering my 05 in white with black interior-no accents. The car will then be repainted by my favorite bodyman in Cayman Green Clearcoat Metallic, to match my 93 LX, and the interior will be redone in a light buckskin leather with matching carpets.

Remember the 50s, folks-cause it is happening again!

------------------
**********, **************************

Redbird, I think the wire wheels would look fantastic on your new bird. However, having had them on 2 XKE's over the years, they are a real pain in the butt to keep clean and looking nice.
frown.gif
Also, no matter what some might say, it will be necessary to run tubes with wire wheels to keep the air in the tires. Just be forwarned, wire elegance comes with a price. If you do go ahead with it, please post a picture for us to enjoy.

Tony,

Funny you should mention the personalization. As I stated, I had the new wheel mounted yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon as the wife and I were headed to the store, low and behold, there goes another premium black Bird (my second sighting in less than a week) in the opposite direction. I made the comment to my wife that that was another reason I opted for the chrome bezel and the aftermarket wheels. The cars were the same but ours was different, not just another TBird (right, like there is such a thing as just another TBird). It certainly did not take long for the personaliztion to pay off.
smile.gif

Eyelawdoc,

When I was at the shop having the wheels mounted there was a new black Navigator sitting out front with 22" wire wheels on it. I went over and took a close look and thought to myself "how do you keep those suckers clean?". My conclusion was "I don't think you can". These I believe were different than the Dayton's (if I am thinking of the correct wheel), these had four rows of spokes whereas the Dayton's have two. The middle two rows are almost impossible to reach.

-

I had Dayton Wire Wheels on my '93 Jaguar XJ6. They looked GREAT, but after a couple of years, I could never get them to balance up properly. I know from past experience with wires on a Cadillac that the spokes stretch and losten and the wheels go out of true. The only way, and EXPENSIVE way is to send them to a wheel shop and have them trued up again, much like the spokes on our bicycles when we were kids. Personally, unless it's just for show, I'd stay FAR away from wire wheels on a 'driver'.

Joe,

I am with you on the chrome bezel. There is another lawyer running around LA with the exact same bird sans the bezel.

But don't the billets and painted brakes change the car dramatically in favor of a "hot rod" look???

Or does it still have that cruiser feel??

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

Don't know about the brakes yet, I will have them painted next week, if I don't like the looks they will become black. I am also having the windows tinted at the same time.

Hope to post pics of the new wheels tomorrow, I don't think they look hot roddy, it is a classy design with a high polish, from a distance they alomst look chromed. There are more edges on them and therefore more reflections and sparkle, they really stand out.

-

I have posted some pics of the new wheels at:

TampaBay02Birds

I'm not real pleased with the quality of the photo's, I'll try and get some better ones when I have the calipers painted.

Joe,

I like you. As someone with the exact same car as you, sans the wheels, I share your love for the car. However, I don't like your new wheels for this car.

First, the cap is key and really adds to the car, particularly if it is accented. It is also part and parcel of the T-Bird trademark design where the wheels carry the same logo as the car.

Second, I do not like the exposure of the brakes to the extent you now have them. I think the premium wheels struck a good balance between exposure and cover up to keep the attention focused on the wheel.

Finally, I find it hard to see how you can get as much shine and sparkle from the limited chrome on your billets as you can from the full chrome wheel. Yeah the pictures are not up to snuff, but there really is no comparison to surface covered.

I am no Gary(no self respecting lawyer would lower himself to a Joe Pesci), but I am respectfully sharing my distaste for your move. But as you say, it does distinguish your bird from others just as TBirdTim and others have done. Bravo there my friend!

For me, the issue I am confronting, and I guess taking a conservative stance on, is whether I am willing to modify my bird outside of Ford sanctioned options and/or parts. I am keeping it simple.

So, do you want to sell them to me????

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

rt2esq,

No offense taken, to each his own. The main reason for taking the 7 spokes off was so that in 15 years down the line I will have basically brand new stock wheels to put back on. It will probably be real hard, if not impossible, to find in new condition wheels then.

I am going to check with the person that makes the porthole window emblem, Tim stated that he can make them any size, and replace the Coddington emblem with the TBird. This will help tie the wheels to the car.

The aluminum is polished to a mirror finish and there are more edges (20 compared to 14) for the light to glisten from, therefore more sparkle. Also on the hub section of the wheel there are crests between the spokes where the light will reflect. Unfortunately this is not obvious in the photo's.

As to the brakes, they are a nice looking caliper, nicely finished. I believe that something mechanical when nicely done should be shown off. It is a shame that the engine is not visible when the hood is open. I don't know if you have ever seen any pictures of the 3.9LV8 but it is one sharp looking piece of work, I just wish you could see more of it. I have posted a picture at:

TampaBayRetroBirds_Photos

-

Joe,

I like that idea of saving the rims for later. There is nothing wrong with a different look for a while.

When you get better pics with the brakes refinished, post them so we can see them.

If anything, you are living up to your call sign --jodrod -- just playing. I am looking forward to seeing your wheels on the T on 66 in person in Santa Monica, CA.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049 (Cbezel minus the billets)

I'll be taking the Bird into the shop on 2/19 to have the calipers painted and the window tinted. This time I am going to use my faithful 30 yr. old Minolta SRT-101 with ASA100 and then have those photos digitized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back