Steering wheel controls have gone wacky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bfuqua

Last seen
Am I the first? My steering wheel controls have gone south. It varies day to day but for the most part when I push the sound down button the sound goes up... when I press the sound up button the station changes. When I press the coast button on the cruise control the car speeds up and sometimes they all work correctly.

I am the only one?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This is a new one on me and I've been on T-Bird sites for 5 years now.
Is it a new bird and under warranty???

Long past warrantee

It is a 2002 with over a 100K miles... I drive my Tbird every day - with the top down.

Great to hear it's driven. It would be interesting to know what you have experienced with it. Or, is that the only issue you've had in the 100,000 miles? Other than routine maintenance of course.

A few problems

1. At 20k the cooling fan went out
2. At 40-50K the air conditioner controller went out and again at 100K
3. I have replaced all of the spark plug coils - two went out so I bought 6 more and finished the job. This happened at about 80k.

Not great but not all that bad.

For 100k that's not all that bad. Thanks for your response

Am I the first? My steering wheel controls have gone south. It varies day to day but for the most part when I push the sound down button the sound goes up... when I press the sound up button the station changes. When I press the coast button on the cruise control the car speeds up and sometimes they all work correctly.

I am the only one?
It was suggested to me by another TBird owner that you unhook your battery for about 15 minutes. Then hook it up again, This should allow your tbird computer to reboot and may correct the issue. Certainly worth a try. And, inexpensive:)

I gave it a try

I disconnected my battery for about 20 minutes and that didn't fix the problem but I appreciate the idea. I called my dealer and the service department thinks it is the clockspring in the steering column. Has anyone heard of such?

I did learn how to reprogram the windows after the power was disconnected and it was easy.

I disconnected my battery for about 20 minutes and that didn't fix the problem but I appreciate the idea. I called my dealer and the service department thinks it is the clockspring in the steering column. Has anyone heard of such?

I did learn how to reprogram the windows after the power was disconnected and it was easy.

I have never heard of the "clockspring", but if you have it repaired, please post the results for us.

Glad the windows were easy for you. I should have warned you that, that would have to be done once the battery was disconnected. Sorry!

I should have it back tomorrow - fixed

Air bag error #32 means a bad ground on the driver's air bag. In my case and evidently in most Ford car's case this means the Clock Spring needs replacing. Clock Spring is probably a bad name for this part. It is the part in your steering wheel that keeps the contacts for electrical parts as the steering wheel turns. Without the Clock Spring the wiring would be tied in knocks.

It turns out this same Clock Spring takes care of the wiring for the turn signals, the cruise control and the radio. If you check the internet there is a great deal of information of Clock Springs and Fords.. well all cars.

The bottom line is the part is $120 and installation at the dealership is about another 150. The process takes a few hours as they have to pull the steering wheel and the air bag to change the part.

The good news is that it lasted about 100k miles. It really should be a one time event if it happens.

So... if your steering wheel controls go south you have an idea of what it could be.

The bad thing about the car is that I am replacing the air conditioner control unit for the second time. I don't have a price but that is only about 50k each and in my territory you have to have a/c.

Bill

Bill:
Thanks so much for the update. Great information.

As it relates to that AC, there's a guy out in CA that has in excess of 100k miles and no AC issue at all. So hopefully yours was just an isolated one..twice

My steering wheel has started to make a faint squeeking sound when I turn it. If the radio is off you can hear it. My dealer said it won't hurt anything if I leave it that way. if I get tired of hearing it they can replace something. I think it was something like a dry seal, not sure, but whatever it was it wasn't cheap. I have 18,000 miles on my 2003.

Anyone else hearing this noise?

That is a wrong answer and he should fix it. Of course it won't hurt anything but who wants to listen to it? HIM??? How these jerks get these jobs is beyond me.

Anyway, I think there is a TSB for a squeeking steering wheel. I'll try to find it, which is what he should have done.
Here's a site for problem items by year http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.p.../d-THUNDERBIRD possibly you can find something here and take it back to the dealer

Here it is, an Adobe file #04-10-1. Take a copy with you. You may want to sak them to doa search on their OASIS system to see what else they can find for you.

Thank you so much, it's printed and I'm ready to take it to the dealership. I can almost hear them mumbling under their breath "danged Internet grrrrrr".

You are welcome!! If you have any other issues, check in with us first... maybe we can help with other data.
It' usually not good to go into a dealer and tell them how to fix something, but when they say "it won't hurt anything, leave it that way", I object! Here's a case where it probably would have done something or FORD would have NEVER put out a fix.
Please, keep us tuned in as to how you make out.

Sophia:
Thank you. That's the type of info we need to get out to others here. I will try to get a copy of that TSB.

I find it rather amusing that on your first visit, they didn't know anything and just told you "it won't hurt anything to leave it that way".
Then when you go in armed with info they tell you there's a more recent TSB. Something they should have known and/or looked up originally, to prevent you from going back for the same complaint.

I think you should find another dealer.

Last edited:
A Clock Spring/Dishonest Dealership Story

Hi, Everyone. I posted this story on another thread in response to a related question. But I thought it might be useful to others who have an airbag indicator light problem. The clock spring problem is a long story. Sorry about that.

The problem was diagnosed by the dealership when the airbag light remained on. The dealership wanted to $95 just to diagnose the problem, but "kindly" offered to deduct the cost from the repair. The estimated repair cost was about $580, of which $112 was the part cost. The dealership also indicated the airbag light could be caused by a problem with the airbag mechanism itself, too, and they wouldn't know for certain until they repaired the clock spring. The airbag fix was estimated to cost $860. The amount seemed a shockingly high (but I am no car-repair expert). So I called a few non-dealerships. Each quoted a price, including parts, of less than $200.00.

When I confronted the dealership about the amazing cost disparity, the service manager indicated the T-Bird's telescoping steering wheel added time to the repair, and the standard, computerized time-estimators didn't include that cost. (Frankly, I was skeptical, because I had discussed the complexity of the steering column with some of the other repair shops, and one shop owner had fixed three Ford clock springs that week, but not T-Bird clock springs.)

Of course, the dealership had a deal for me! The dealership noted I had not done my 30,000 mile servicing at the dealership. (I had done it through Jiffy Lube.) So they offered to do the servicing for (coincidentally) about the same amount as the clock spring repair ($570). In exchange, they would fix the clock spring at no charge and make any necessary repairs to the airbag at no charge. The servicing included all new filters, all new fluids, flushing all systems, rotating tires -- a fine list of services. My T-Bird now has about 47,000 miles, so I didn't mind another round of servicing, given the specialized knowledge (theoretically) of the dealership, if the price were reasonable.

The dealership further indicated that Ford likes loyal owners, that having the servicing done at the dealership would show loyalty, and that the loyalty would be rewarded if in the future I had serious problems. The dealership and Ford would be more willing to cover a new transmission under an elective warranty fix, for example, if I showed my loyalty.

So I trusted the dearlership and had the repair done. Of course, the repair took an extra day and they neglected to deduct the $95 diagnostic fee, which I brought to their attention. But as far as I know the work was completed.

HOWEVER, today I received a call back from another Ford dealership I contacted prior to my repair. Their estimate for the clock spring? Not the $580 estimated by my dealership. Instead, it was FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS less. The estimate was about $200, just like the non-Ford repair shops. So I called five additional Ford dearlerships. Each one quoted a parts-and-labor cost of between $200 and $250!!

I am shocked and mortified by the dishonesty of the dealership. I am equally shocked by their gall at overcharging me even after I brought the concern to their attention, even after advising them I am an attorney.

Naturally, I have a call in to all levels of management above the service department. Any suggestions about what would be a fair settlement and what further action you recommend would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back