2002 Airbag Light on not flashing after FEM repaired

Critterpainer

Critterpainer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I removed and had my FEM repaired after dash illumination and low speed power steering failed. Now the Air Bag light is on steady, not flashing. Several semi-unrelated codes also appeared (using Snap-On Code Reader). B1869 center brake light failure (it IS working) C1805 Mismatch PCM ABS/TCS and V1262 Data Fault to name just a few. Also Power Steering fault. The dash illumination works now as does the low speed power steering. Car runs and drives fine and I see no obvious issues other than that Darn air bag light. Mechanic believes its a ground issue. How do I figure out what pins are circuit ground connections? Or where do I look for a possible ground issue? The FEM is original to the car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If I understand correctly, everything is working on your car except the airbag light is illuminated. Whenever the ignition is switch on and a major component like the FEM is disconnected, fault codes will be stored in the all of the other control modules on the data bus. The first thing I would do is to clear all of the faults that are stored and then rescan the control modules to see what faults return. If the airbag light is still illuminated, what are the fault codes stored in the airbag control module?

I don't know why the person who is repairing your car believes there is a possible ground issue with the airbag control module, but to answer your question; the ground point for the airbag control module is behind the bottom left side of the dash panel through the interior auxiliary junction box. The ground terminals at the airbag control module are; 14 and 21.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Air Bag Wiring Diagram.JPG

Doug
Thank you for your reply! I would rather be working on MY 55. I removed the FEM again and double checked that all the connectors went in correctly and that I didn't bend any pins. While the battery was dis-connected for this procedure I checked the battery voltage and found it to be low so I charged it since the car has been sitting for 4 weeks. When I have time this eve I will re-connect the battery and do a proper restart and warm-up procedure. Then I will re-check the fuses in the interior fuse box as I just noticed the cigarette lighter is not working. (I cant open the passenger door without moving the car.) More info coming later

Back