What holds 1957 Vacuum Lines?

Rogvh

Rogvh

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Are the two vacuum lines running on the driver side of the intake manifold to the fuel pump held in positon by clips, bracket, or anything?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Both, There is a bracket right at the original glass bowl fuel filter and there are two clips to stabilize and hold the lines together.

Last edited:
I have the bracket attached to the intake manifold bolt. It has a double clip that holds the fuel line from the filter. I thought the vacuum line for the brake booster shares that clip. I do not see any provision for the two vacuum lines going to the fuel pump. I've seen pictures of a something black attaching those two lines together but not to anything else.

I updated your subject to summarize your post.
model-year-TBF.jpg

I have the bracket attached to the intake manifold bolt. It has a double clip that holds the fuel line from the filter. I thought the vacuum line for the brake booster shares that clip. I do not see any provision for the two vacuum lines going to the fuel pump. I've seen pictures of a something black attaching those two lines together but not to anything else.
Those black things are the snap on clips to stabilize the lines. The fuel filter bracket only attaches to the fuel filter so hence for the clips to keep the vacuum lines stable.

Those black things are the snap on clips to stabilize the lines. The fuel filter bracket only attaches to the fuel filter so hence for the clips to keep the vacuum lines stable.
Thanks. I have not seen those in repro parts catalogs so original only?

Thanks. I have not seen those in repro parts catalogs so original only?
CASCO has them. # 9156F $3.48 for the pair. When I bought mine the package said original. Just be aware when installing them one leg is longer than the other. The long leg goes on first then the short leg snaps over. I tried the reverse and they went flying. Glad I bought them as I had extras to install until I could round them up again, so now I have 4 installed as they are so small they would get lost in my parts bins.

CASCO has them. # 9156F $3.48 for the pair. When I bought mine the package said original. Just be aware when installing them one leg is longer than the other. The long leg goes on first then the short leg snaps over. I tried the reverse and they went flying. Glad I bought them as I had extras to install until I could round them up again, so now I have 4 installed as they are so small they would get lost in my parts bins.
Thanks again, I am putting a CASCO order in soon for other parts so will add them.

Are the two vacuum lines running on the driver side of the intake manifold to the fuel pump held in positon by clips, bracket, or anything?
A picture is worth a thousand words. Attached is a picture of the clips that everyone is talking about and their location on the vacuum lines.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BlueIMG_3919.JPG

A picture is worth a thousand words. Attached is a picture of the clips that everyone is talking about and their location on the vacuum lines.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BlueView attachment 16958
Thanks Doug, agree about the thousand words. The pic also eliminates what I thought about the fuel line clip possibly holding another line like the booster line. Roger

Thanks for the pictures. It will help with this mess. Its a 57 312 engine in a 55. Obviously the prior owner was creative with the power brake vacuum line.

Birdfuelpump.jpg

OMG! Never seen anything like it. Definitely an inventive former owner, swapped the engine and made it run. Is anything plugged into the vacuum port at the back of the intake manifold? I've got an early '57 with the rubber hose from the booster to that port, along with a rare vacuum line from the pump that wraps around the manifold instead of over it. That brake booster line should go to that port straight from the booster. Interesting project. I'd look into getting the whole vacuum line kit and rebuild.

The correct fitting is on the back of the intake. The small vacuum line goes to the fuel pump with the booster line spliced in. A long rubber hose goes back to the wiper motor connection. The other fitting on the intake port goes to the windshield washer fitting. Actually the brakes work fine, but when I finally noticed the power brake connection, I knew what I would be doing until I get a fuel pump. Overall the work on the car has been decent or better, with this exception.

The correct fitting is on the back of the intake. The small vacuum line goes to the fuel pump with the booster line spliced in. A long rubber hose goes back to the wiper motor connection. The other fitting on the intake port goes to the windshield washer fitting. Actually the brakes work fine, but when I finally noticed the power brake connection, I knew what I would be doing until I get a fuel pump. Overall the work on the car has been decent or better, with this exception.
At least it's just plumbing but it sounds like you are on the right track to get it right.

Back