Value of a custom 64 tbird?

Yeah now that I look at that steering wheel it does look like something later. I know 66 Birds had a steering wheel similar to that with cruise control.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

That’s not a 66 cruise wheel, that’s 70s maybe 80s. It’s similar to the wheel in our 76 but that had a t bird emblem in the center. That appears to have been harvested from a late model ford possibly truck line as it’s just the ford emblem. The buttons design and script is similar to what is in my 80 but again there is a thunderbird emblem in the center. I was curious as to what was done with the swing away mechanics or was this just solid mounted.

Not quite sure how it is setup, but the swing away works.. Moves when you put it in park and locks in gear..

Not quite sure how it is setup, but the swing away works.. Moves when you put it in park and locks in gear..

That is very cool! I gotta say, overall I like this car very much. The exterior is beautiful, (it needs to lose the limited badge on the trunk lol). I would make sure it is looked over very well by a great body guy and a mechanic that knows older cars. I would say again, the low teens would be as high as I would go, if all checks out, I still stick to that. While it is a very COOL car, that is my opinion, others might hate it because it is such a restomod. I also keep in mind that we are almost into 2020 - these cars are getting more and more rare, s0 we might have to lower our standards a bit as well :)

For me, it would be important to know the shape of the body as well - rust could blister right up through that beautiful paint shortly have the check is cashed. I would want to know the engine is sound, the electricals check out (important, very important with a car this modified).

In the end, you can get opinions from body guys, mechanics, and electrical guys - even a frame shop would be a great idea - but you won't know really until you have it. I would collect the opinions, see what they think, then with the data, throw an offer out there you are comfortable with paying and stick to it. With that kind of money, you can buy some pretty awesome custom cars that are MUCH simpler than a flairbird .... Flairbird = weird problems.

I bought my car sight unseen off eBay - I made the mistake of reading the ad and looking at the pictures and thinking it was all true. It was delivered, and it did run, just not well. It drove, but needed much electrical work, stuff worked on it, but not correctly - so no case against the guy. Not to mention the body issues that will cost me thousands. Here is my point - you add in what I spent, I paid 4500 for my car + 600 shipping = 5600. I have a project car at best, it is mid optioned, and a very common color. I will need to spend probably 3000 on a motor rebuild (maybe more), 3000-4000 on the body and paint, interior probably 2000 including the stereo, and I know it needs suspension work add 1000 in parts and 1000 in labor if I hire it out. So grand total: 16,600.00 - not including little stuff, like badges, steering column weirdness(problems specific to the make or model) and so on. Now, the car will be made custom for me pretty much, restomod, but I will keep is mostly original for sale in the future - just make improvements. But, as you can see this adds up!!! Also, this does not include ANY of MY TIME!

Honestly, if you find a car that checks all the boxes I outlined (and others outlined) and can get it for 12-15k - and all you have to do is wax it and maintaining it - you are much smarter than me - starting here and speaking with all of us is smarter than what I did! (I am not at the point in my life though where I can throw 20k at something and it not be a life-changing event, too many setbacks as of recent....long story, so I do it a little at a time. I like to think of it as a loan - I am paying interest on not being able to buy a finished car - so I will get the car I want, I will just have to put in the money to get it where I want it to be...and it will take years. Most likely, the guy is on the level but may be getting rid of it because he either needs the money, lost interest, or ran into an issue he is tired of dealing with. Just look it over with a fine-tooth comb.

Last edited:
Well you got a lot of experience so far with this car. The question will be whether or not you should cut it loose and go for a better one down the road. That can be a hard choice if you’re attached to it emotionally. That’s OK too as long as you’re having fun doing it. Thunderbird‘s were never cars to buy because of their collectibility or high values. Probably the best value for the pound you can get anywhere though. They is something alluring and addictive To these cars. I have had many muscle cars of all sorts and still love to look at Thunderbird’s. As you know I have four of them and enjoy all of them.

Well you got a lot of experience so far with this car. The question will be whether or not you should cut it loose and go for a better one down the road. That can be a hard choice if you’re attached to it emotionally. That’s OK too as long as you’re having fun doing it. Thunderbird‘s were never cars to buy because of their collectibility or high values. Probably the best value for the pound you can get anywhere though. They is something alluring and addictive To these cars. I have had many muscle cars of all sorts and still love to look at Thunderbird’s. As you know I have four of them and enjoy all of them.

THIS IS SO TRUE - money is just money, if something makes you happy, you learn from it, and make friends like I have with all of you it is worth it. My education on car repair has ben GREATLY in enhanced by all of you and the experience. I bought my car before my mother passed...I had cared for her for years on and off, I took her to all her chemo and radiation - took lots of FMLA time and lost a lot of money - and have had my heart torn out of my chest. This car is in her honor...to me. I named it Rose after her. That was her middle name and she hated it, but it was a small joke between us and she was a trickster, hence the name. Rose is a neat car, I have wanted another flairbird the minute I signed the title of my...rust free 66 over - Always loved the look of the 64 and 65s - so this worked great. I feel like I did get burnt a bit on the deal, but again - what I have learned and will learn has no price tag.
I don't want a mustang or nova or whatever - insert SUPER popular old car- they are all boring and have been done so.many.times.over.and.over. With a flairbird there are just enough aftermarket parts to make it simple enough to restore one, but lacking enough to make it a challenge which can/usually is fun. When I took mine on its maiden voyage to the county clerk for inspection and registration it was one of the best days since I lost my mother *it is so hard to type that, I say in public, her vacation*

So in the end - it's your money - do as you wish - just consider your circumstances, expectations, mindset, overall shape/restoration style of the car - and of course, what you want! :)

Well said. So far you’ve done a great job on the projects you tackled on this bird. These birds are challenging to say the least but very rewarding. And a great looking car from any angle inside or out.

I was a Mustang guy. I had a 65 convertible V8 with the 3 spd. It was nice to work on and fix up. But my long golden locks blew away from the wind and now I'm more of a cruiser in my 64 T-Bird. Plus now that the kids are 13 and 15, their legs are so long. The back seat of a Mustang Convertible wasn't enough room. Misty is just an enjoyable family outing car. We get great comments from other drivers and you can see my kids chests fill out in pride. I am bestowing the love of old cars into their little brains. DJ-Dan (Forest Hill, Md)

Back