Vacuum control of parking brake [1966]

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am a new owner trying to update my 1966, 428, Tbird. There does not appear to be any vacumm line connect to the parking brake release. Do not find a Neutral Safety Switch attached to the steering column under the dash, but the starter is being locked out in reverse and drive. The switch parts that I have found on the web do not seem to have any vacuum connections. I am sure you guys know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

Paul in Colorado

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On the '64, there is a neutral safety switch on top of the steering column that controls vacuum to the e brake release. The e brake release looks like a silver can sitting on top of the e brake mechanism and that is where a vacuum line would connect. Mine's disconnected because of looseness in the shifting mechanism and tendency for the car to shift from Park to Reverse on it's own under certain conditions. I like it better disconnected, I added an extension to the manual e brake lever and it works just fine.

Not sure how this compares to the '66.

I am a new owner trying to update my 1966, 428, Tbird. There does not appear to be any vacumm line connect to the parking brake release. Do not find a Neutral Safety Switch attached to the steering column under the dash, but the starter is being locked out in reverse and drive. The switch parts that I have found on the web do not seem to have any vacuum connections. I am sure you guys know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

Paul in Colorado

The 66's have two "neutral safety" switches. The one that controls the transmission, (locks out except in Park and Neutral, is mounted on the transmission at the selector lever.
The second is (should be) mounted on top of the steering column, about a foot from the firewall. It is the same switch as the 64's and 5's use for the neutral lockout. Except, on the '66's there are no electrical connections to this switch. Just two vacuum lines. You line it up so the arm on the shift rod contacts the spring-loaded tab on the vacuum part of the switch, When the car is in Park, the arm on the shift rod should push the tab on the switch over as far as it will go. This closes the valve for no vacuum. When you move the shift lever from Park to drive, the arm on the shift rod rotates and allows the spring-loaded tab to move the switch over, opening the valve to allow vacuum to release the em brake.
If you do not have the steering column mounted switch, or vacuum lines, someone must have removed them and wasn't worried about having the auto release of the em brake, - just either didn't use the em brake, or used the manual release on the foot pedal mechanism which is a bit difficult to do on a repeated basis.
If you go to the Bird Nest or other T-bird parts sites, you can see the difference between the two switches. They will be marked "for '64 and '65, (a white plastic body)and the other flatter metal switch will be marked "for '66 C6 transmissions."

The 66's have two "neutral safety" switches. The one that controls the transmission, (locks out except in Park and Neutral, is mounted on the transmission at the selector lever.
The second is (should be) mounted on top of the steering column, about a foot from the firewall. It is the same switch as the 64's and 5's use for the neutral lockout. Except, on the '66's there are no electrical connections to this switch. Just two vacuum lines. You line it up so the arm on the shift rod contacts the spring-loaded tab on the vacuum part of the switch, When the car is in Park, the arm on the shift rod should push the tab on the switch over as far as it will go. This closes the valve for no vacuum. When you move the shift lever from Park to drive, the arm on the shift rod rotates and allows the spring-loaded tab to move the switch over, opening the valve to allow vacuum to release the em brake.
If you do not have the steering column mounted switch, or vacuum lines, someone must have removed them and wasn't worried about having the auto release of the em brake, - just either didn't use the em brake, or used the manual release on the foot pedal mechanism which is a bit difficult to do on a repeated basis.
If you go to the Bird Nest or other T-bird parts sites, you can see the difference between the two switches. They will be marked "for '64 and '65, (a white plastic body)and the other flatter metal switch will be marked "for '66 C6 transmissions."

Wow! That is what I really needed. The parts that I have found so far must be for the 64-65 series. Thanks!

Back