Vaccum Issue on 57 Bird

Tanna's57TBird

Tanna's57TBird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I parked my 57 Bird about three months ago. When I went to start it recently, it would turn over, but it would not start. There was no fuel in the glass bowl so I pulled the line off going to the line from the tank, no fuel. I made sure there was gas, there was.

I decided to change out the fuel pump, the the new pump reacted the same as the old one, no fuel. After some work was able to get fuel up to the bowl and then to the carb.

Then, there was no spark, so I jumped the car and it fired, but would only stay running as long as you shot it with SFluid and or once it was running throttle it up to 4k rpm. As soon as you backed off the engine would not idle. Its acting like there is not enough vacuum to pull fuel into the intake manifold from the carb.

Can't figure this out, should be so simple, it runs but will not idle. Another issue is after it sits a few hours, the fuel in the bowl goes somewhere most likely back to the tank.

Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi,
You seem to be talking about two things 1) no fuel to the engine, 2) your "fuel bowl " empties after sitting for a few hours. I am assuming the fuel bowl you mention is the sediment bowl in the fuel line just before the carburetor, which is also contains the fuel filter. First, make sure the fuel filter is not the problem, if you don't know when it has been replaced, I would replace it. Start the car up again and with the engine running, closely examine the glass fuel bowl. If you see bubbles in the glass bowel, that is a strong indication that you have an air leak in the fuel line running from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Check the rubber line which connects to the fuel pump. It may be cracked or loose. Also check the other tubing connections upstream of the rubber line for leaks.

Also, unless your fuel bowl has a crack in it, it is hard to understand where that fuel is going since it is a one-piece glass bowl.

Hope this helps,

Back