Using floor jack to raise rear end of 1966 to remove fuel tank

Rayzan
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Not sure that I'm looking at the correct location to position floor jack to raise the rear end of my 1966. Have seen posts suggesting about 8 inches ahead of rear wheel well. Is this directly under outside edge of body, or back in further under the body? Car is too low to get my jack under gear housing. Thanks

Can you jack the body up with a smaller, jack so that you can get the floor jack under the differential?

Boy, you must be riding low. Add some more air to your tires to see if you can get more clearance for the differential. I Just re read the post. You need to get to the gas tank and can't get your jack under the differential. I'd lift each side using the axle on each side to slip in a stand then go to the other side and do the same. You can inch it up enough back and fourth to get under the differential then crank it up. then get the jack stands back underneath.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, be safe. Don’t get under there unless you’re absolutely certain. If you can drive it, get it to a proper lift. I say this as someone who never met his grandfather. He was crushed by his car when it came off a jack.

Whatever you do, be safe. Don’t get under there unless you’re absolutely certain. If you can drive it, get it to a proper lift. I say this as someone who never met his grandfather. He was crushed by his car when it came off a jack.
That's why proper jack stands are so important. NEVER get under a car with just the jack holding it up.

use some wood blocks for back up, i was crushed by my dump trailer, not fun take the time

Rayzan, placing some long 2x4's or 2x6's in front or behind the tires and then driving onto those may give you enough added clearance to get the floor jack under the car. I'll reinforce the comments that if jacking under the differential you should IMMEDIATELY get those jack stands underneath the car. The differential is not a forbidden place to jack this car but the car is awfully unbalanced from that point.

If you have drive-on ramps those could also give you enough room to drop the tank with out having to jack the car at all. But if your T-bird is sitting that low I don't think you will be able to get the car onto the ramps without hitting the body on one or both ramps.

Hope this helps.

What is the problem that you are removing the tank? Leaking...float problem...cleaning?

Rayzan, placing some long 2x4's or 2x6's in front or behind the tires and then driving onto those may give you enough added clearance to get the floor jack under the car. I'll reinforce the comments that if jacking under the differential you should IMMEDIATELY get those jack stands underneath the car. The differential is not a forbidden place to jack this car but the car is awfully unbalanced from that point.

If you have drive-on ramps those could also give you enough room to drop the tank with out having to jack the car at all. But if your T-bird is sitting that low I don't think you will be able to get the car onto the ramps without hitting the body on one or both ramps.

Hope this helps.

What is the problem that you are removing the tank? Leaking...float problem...cleaning?
Removing and replacing complete fuel lines both the steel portions and rubber sections right from the fuel pump to the tank. I have two floor jacks and between the two I've been able to slowly work my way up and get jack stands under the rear axle. I now have the back tires about 2 inches off the floor. May have to continue the process until I get enough room to get to the strap bolts, unless removing rear wheels gives me some additional access? Still trying to figure out how to disconnect the fuel sending unit wiring? Thanks

Sounds like you are doing well don't be afraid to go higher if you have the front tires properly blocked. Proper safety included. At least in my '57 there is an access cover in the trunk so you didn't have to drop the tank to replace the sender. Take a peek under the trunk mat and see if you have one. I don't know when they stopped the practice and just left enough slack to pull the wires when 1/2 down. If you have the undercarriage secured use the jack to hold up the tank as you disconnect the filler tube and lines.

Removing and replacing complete fuel lines both the steel portions and rubber sections right from the fuel pump to the tank. I have two floor jacks and between the two I've been able to slowly work my way up and get jack stands under the rear axle. I now have the back tires about 2 inches off the floor. May have to continue the process until I get enough room to get to the strap bolts, unless removing rear wheels gives me some additional access? Still trying to figure out how to disconnect the fuel sending unit wiring? Thanks
Got the tank out! Broke both of the hanger bolts off. Found where the sending unit plugs in so a simple disconnect. Thanks again for all the advice. 6AFA780B-A9D9-4717-90C6-68E1D49E6322.jpeg

looks nasty, please let us know where to get a new one, I need one also for 66

Back