Tow rating ablility 56 -312- Fordomatic

JLT
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 56 with 312 Fordomatic and upgraded to front disc. Old school cars with actual frames used to pull campers and trailers all the time. I scoured the web for the tow rating capability of my car and can't find any info. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with pulling small campers with Gen 1 T-Birds?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 56 with 312 Fordomatic and upgraded to front disc. Old school cars with actual frames used to pull campers and trailers all the time. I scoured the web for the tow rating capability of my car and can't find any info. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with pulling small campers with Gen 1 T-Birds?
I can check with a friend who towed many trailers albeit not huge ones cross country when he was in the USAF. How big a trailer are you contemplating? I am always so happy to see and hear about owners who actually drive their thunderbirds more than to local cars and coffee outings. We drove our '57 to Flagstaff last year, round trip was about 2200 miles. loads of fun.

I can check with a friend who towed many trailers albeit not huge ones cross country when he was in the USAF. How big a trailer are you contemplating? I am always so happy to see and hear about owners who actually drive their thunderbirds more than to local cars and coffee outings. We drove our '57 to Flagstaff last year, round trip was about 2200 miles. loads of fun.
Just a small Shasta like, 10-12 ft. But even the small old ones are heavy. I would assume 2500 to be on safe side. I've towed a lot over the years and know how to go slow and give tow vehicle plenty time

Back