To much gas thru the carb on my 71

Okiebird

Okiebird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently bought a beautiful 71 bird. It has the 429. It was sending way to much gas thru the carb, so we got a kit and rebuilt the carb. It only has @68,000 miles. But even with the rebuld of the carb, it is much better, but still sending to much gas thru the carb. Took it to a local shop, they checked everything that they could think of, but still a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would appreciate any help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently bought a beautiful 71 bird. It has the 429. It was sending way to much gas thru the carb, so we got a kit and rebuilt the carb. It only has @68,000 miles. But even with the rebuld of the carb, it is much better, but still sending to much gas thru the carb. Took it to a local shop, they checked everything that they could think of, but still a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would appreciate any help.
It sounds like your float in the carburetor isn't working right. Watch some you tube videos on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be. Also someone may have put an oversized power valve in it. Should be rated at 50% of the idling manifold vacuum, maybe around an 8.5. If the valve is wrong, it'll dump gas through the primaries when it shouldn't be doing it.

That 429 probably has a Autolite 4350 carb which might have a sunk float which I believe is nitrophyl or the power valve piston is missing or power valve spring or the brass power valve itself could be leaking is there fuel dripping into it when running or right after shutdown if so either float has sunk or what is the fuel pressure. If not that does mixture screws respond to adjustment does it have the proper size main jets or remotely possible a porous float bowl casting.

On second thought that 4350 uses metering rods and a spring/vacuum controlled power piston are the rod and main jet proper size andare the rods there and proper air horn gasket to get vacuum to power piston, if no vacuum to metering rod piston rods will be in full rich all the time.

Look at the primary boosters at an idle. Should not have fuel dribbling out. If you have fuel dribble at idle the throttle blades could be set too far open at idle (into the transfer slots).

Back