Tack Strips for 1956 seats

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1956 Tbird Casco offers tack strip for the seats to hold down the seat covers, It look like it would make changing out the seat covers easier. I was wondering if any one has use them before and what they think of them? Thanks Jerry

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The only use of tack strips was for the headliner that I know of. All seat covers I've ever seen are installed with hog rings because they are under considerable stress. The only thing I can think of it's the bead around the edge for the hog rings to grip and not pull through.

The only use of tack strips was for the headliner that I know of. All seat covers I've ever seen are installed with hog rings because they are under considerable stress. The only thing I can think of it's the bead around the edge for the hog rings to grip and not pull through.
Yes I have not heard of it either but they have
I have a 1956 Tbird Casco offers tack strip for the seats to hold down the seat covers, It look like it would make changing out the seat covers easier. I was wondering if any one has use them before and what they think of them? Thanks Jerry
I had not heard of them either but the strip run all around the seats here is a picture of it. Thanks Jerry

Attachments

• 60000A.jpg
    60000A.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 4
I'm part way thru redoing mine. It looks like part of the seat covers are held in place with hog rings and other parts were held in place with staples/tacks placed in the tack strips. Mine was redone once before and in addition to the staples/tacks in the strips whoever did it also put contact cement between the frame and fabric to further hold things together. Can't tell if the factory also used cement. The last redo also skipped using the tack strip in a couple areas and instead hog ringed the seat covers to the seat springs. I will not be doing that this time because it pulls the springs out of true alignment. I installed new tack strip and glued it in place and will be using it to hold the new upholstery along with some contact cement. It looked to me like Ford originally used actual tacks.. the redo used staples.

Back