Sugestions for A/C in a ‘55

55birdman

55birdman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Before I’m too far along with the reconstruction of my ‘55 I’ll need to acquire an A/C system. The car has been converted to 12v and I do have a Sanden style compressor installed on the motor as I needed to make the brackets for the accessories; A/C, alternator and P/S.
I prefer not to have one of those units that hangs under the dashboard although I realize that I’ll need to install a few new vents.
I see that some provide heat and cool, but as the car is equipped with a heater is there an advantage to this?
I’d like a unit that can be successfully installed under the dash without interfering with those diagonal braces and provide conditioned air to the defroster as well.
There are a number of systems out there I know, but I’m hoping to get some input from members of the forum as to which might be better than others.
Summon in SC is famously hot.
Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Best of luck with your restoration. My '55 was originally a SC car and does have the "under dash" AC unit. It works fantastic out here in AZ and I wouldn't want my TBird out here without the AC. There's no way I'd ever want to cruise with the top on without the AC. We ride quite often with the AC on and top off/down and it's quite pleasant.

Before I’m too far along with the reconstruction of my ‘55 I’ll need to acquire an A/C system. The car has been converted to 12v and I do have a Sanden style compressor installed on the motor as I needed to make the brackets for the accessories; A/C, alternator and P/S.
I prefer not to have one of those units that hangs under the dashboard although I realize that I’ll need to install a few new vents.
I see that some provide heat and cool, but as the car is equipped with a heater is there an advantage to this?
I’d like a unit that can be successfully installed under the dash without interfering with those diagonal braces and provide conditioned air to the defroster as well.
There are a number of systems out there I know, but I’m hoping to get some input from members of the forum as to which might be better than others.
Thanks.
25 years ago I installed an under dash a/c. It has served me well. Since that time other options have become available. You may have to assemble the parts that have a pleasing appearance to you. You can replace the heater with an integrated system that has both heat defrost and air conditioning. You can also just install an a/c unit. outlets that exit under the dash are available. I would keep in mind that any ducting under/inside the dash that you add may hamper your ability to work on anything needing attention under the dashboard. I suggest trying any of the nationally advertised companies, any local auto air conditioning shops, local hot rod shops that do one-off installations.
good luck to you, J.

Have you looked at the Classic Air kits for the Tbirds? very nice kit

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the original under dash may be my choice after all. From what I can tell most (all?) of the behind the glovebox units will necessitate the removal of the RH diagonal brace which I’d prefer to retain.
Will the under dash units provide defrost or just cool air to occupants?

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the original under dash may be my choice after all. From what I can tell most (all?) of the behind the glovebox units will necessitate the removal of the RH diagonal brace which I’d prefer to retain.
Will the under dash units provide defrost or just cool air to occupants?
They provide defrost as well as heat. I removed my right brace (been 2 years) and have seen no ill effects. No creeking. The evap/heater acts as the same as the support

Thanks.
I've installed Vintage Air systems in my 1966 Mustang with a 67 dash for an "IN DASH SYSTEM" and the 4 vent system in my 1977 Bronco. The nice thing about the (4) vent system is that you have actual defrost and and dash vents. I'm using stand Ford dash vents for a "factory" look. Great people to deal with and too bad Gep Packard is retired but his wife is still there. Tell them Don Millspaugh sent you.

Back